Anyone else making marmalade this weekend?

(37 Posts)
NuclearStandoff Sat 26-Jan-13 10:10:54

Have had my organic seville oranges for a week now, so need to get on with it.

But it does take all day ...

MrsPennyapple Wed 06-Feb-13 13:47:45

Oh bum. Anything I can do to rescue it, do you think? It does taste nice, it's just runny.

ethelb Wed 06-Feb-13 14:29:36

If it tastes nice then that's fine! my v runny botch job lasted 4 years and won second prize at the village fete.

Someone upthread suggested boilign it with a load of pectin i think. You could try that. Or just add loads of lemon juice (and take out the pips, soak in water then add in a muslin bag to the marmalade) and reboil. The lemon juice with loower the PH and the pips will contain pectin.

Or you could just leave it!

MrsPennyapple Wed 06-Feb-13 15:39:35

I think I'll re-boil with more lemon juice. I don't know where I can buy pectin locally. I have some jam sugar but don't really want to add more sugar as it is already very sweet. Thanks for your help :-)

ethelb Wed 06-Feb-13 16:06:12

If you do the soaking and bagging up the pips thing that will release a lot of pectin into your marmalade.

MrsPennyapple Wed 06-Feb-13 16:33:26

But I don't have any pips! There were none in the oranges.

MrsPennyapple Wed 06-Feb-13 16:34:21

That was supposed to be me wailing in a comedy fashion btw.

ethelb Thu 07-Feb-13 11:32:41

Use the pips in the lemons!

I made some a couple of days ago. Whole fruit method where you simmer the whole oranges and juice of 2 lemons for a couple of hours, then scoop out the pulp and chop up the skin. Best marmalade I've ever madegrin

pierpressure Thu 07-Feb-13 11:50:46

I did mine 2 weeks ago using the whole fruit method, which works really well, but when I boiled it I didn't stir the bottom of the pan enough, so when I was testing the set, I was testing the top, once I stirred it properly it had gone a bit too far so is more like orange toffee!
A good recipe is from a site called something like the cottage smallholder as long as you remember to stir!

MrsPennyapple Thu 07-Feb-13 12:07:00

Oh, good idea Ethel. I just bought bottled lemon juice but will go and get some lemons. How many do you think?

ethelb Thu 07-Feb-13 12:22:25

two or three?

MrsPennyapple Tue 19-Feb-13 18:10:24

Finally got round to sorting it out today, boiled it up with about another 75ml lemon juice, seems to have done the trick. It's still not a really firm set, but at least it's spreadable now, rather than pourable smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now