NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What can I give my 2dc to eat after school for dinner

(12 Posts)
PickledInAPearTree Fri 25-Jan-13 14:26:45

A change from toast is fruit or banana loaf.

cedar12 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:54:25

Boiled or scrambled egg

shine0ncrazydiamond Fri 25-Jan-13 13:51:12

I have to feed my 6 year old as soon as he comes out of school as he is always starving and can be a bit tearful. He also has had a school dinner. I usually meet him from school with a biscuit or two and then straight home and he has his evening meal - usually something simple like beans on toast or jacket potato with cheese and veg etc. As he eats this at 4 ish he then has a 'snack plate' at about 6pm and this consists of toast/cheese/pancakes/chopped up fruit/nuts/ breadsticks etc.

He never ever stops eating

DoItToJulia Fri 25-Jan-13 13:22:08

Yes! It's a lovely combination, carrot and apple, and makes the pancakes seem a bit healthier! And kids love pancakes so they tend to eat them whatever you put in. Grated anything could work!

I also make some banana bread, but I have hunted down the healthiest recipe I could find.

I guess it also depends on the effort you are able to put in. I make bread, so focaccia is a favourite in this house and I want to make calzone too!

shinybaubles Fri 25-Jan-13 13:15:16

Some brilliant ideas, thankyou as ds1 did complain about the quantity of tast recently.
Like the idea of Dahl, Quesadilla, and Fried rice, also like soup and this would be a brilliant solution but my 3 year is not keen on soup.

Lafaminute Fri 25-Jan-13 12:41:58

Carrot sticks and humous, leftover bolognese in pitta, courgette fritters, chopped up apple and peanut butter, banana dipped in chocolate (yummy treat), brown bread with (peanut?) butter and jam or with cheese.

SavoyCabbage Fri 25-Jan-13 12:37:32

Do them in the microwave. You can crispy them up in the oven afterwards if you want but you don't have to.

French toast
Dahl
Fish finger sandwich
Mini pizza
Scotch egg
Quesadilla
Soup
Fried rice
Beans on toast
Pâté on toast

I shouldn't have done this when I was hungry.

Baked beans on toast.
Microwaved baked pot (about 8 mins)
Adding carrot would work - sort of turns them into fritters. I have done it with courgette and onion...sort of worked for the children!
Pitta and hummous.
Soup.

To be honest, mine get a hot dinner at school, but are very active and do sometimes get another hot meal at home.

eg. Left over stew and couscous.
Fish fingers
Pasta and pesto / peas / left over bog

shinybaubles Fri 25-Jan-13 12:25:39

They love pancakes but always just thought breakfast food, but they could have them - really carrot?
I do omlettes occasionally, forgot that, but baked potato a good idea, is there anyway to do them quickly?

CaptainSweatPants Fri 25-Jan-13 12:23:23

Omelette
Toasted sandwich
Baked potato

DoItToJulia Fri 25-Jan-13 12:23:10

Make pancakes with self raising flour for puffiness. Add grated carrot and apple to he batter. Yum!

shinybaubles Fri 25-Jan-13 12:21:43

they are 3 and 6, they both eat hot school dinners with pudding, and get a cookie and a drink before home time, they are starving when they get in but not enough to eat another hot dinner, so I have been giving them toast, but would like some other ideas too please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now