NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

I'm a Quorn virgin.

(5 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 24-Jan-13 00:31:02

I have used Quorn, but we can't eat too much of it. Both DH and I have the unpleasant (TMI) side effects which involve lots of visits to the toilet. I checked online and we're definitely not alone in this. Quorn is made from a fungal base, rather than soy, and I guess that's where the problem lies. I can eat it in small doses (their chicken nuggets for example) with no problem.

I tend to use the supermarket frozen mince if I need fake mince as it's usually soy protein based. I would also add beef stock if no one is vegetarian, as it would help if you're trying to convince them it's the real thing. It works well in chili.

sweetkitty Wed 23-Jan-13 22:54:53

You need to use a really strong sauce with it, if making bolognese I use a bit more onion and garlic. I can't eat the fillet things on their own for example but need a good sauce with it.

MrsBungleBear Wed 23-Jan-13 22:49:56

I use the supermarket own brands of fake mince rather than quorn - it is usually cheaper. Asda and Morrisons do their own one.

racingheart Wed 23-Jan-13 22:48:27

depends. You could start by using some beef stock with it. That might do the trick. It's a bit softer than minced beef,bit more like minced mushrooms, but the flavour is so bland that it shouldn't put them off. My DC used to love it and now they refuse to touch it!

IslaValargeone Wed 23-Jan-13 17:05:13

I bought some today (mince) in an attempt to be slightly more healthy.
I am making bolognaise with it.
Is it ok, can I sneak it into my family in a 'mwah ha ha, they'll never know the difference' kind of way or will it be blindingly obvious that I'm faking it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now