NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Do you have an easy vegetarian pasty recipe please?

(20 Posts)
poppy283 Thu 24-Jan-13 07:52:28

I use Sainsbury's love soya ones as they're the tastiest!

mamaLou13 Wed 23-Jan-13 22:12:20

poppy283 what veggie sausages do you use?

mamaLou13 Wed 23-Jan-13 22:10:49

Hi all. Thanks for the recipes will definatley be giving some of them a go. starsinthenight i would love the jamaican recipe if you can find it, i have the jerk, all purpose and carabean spices in the cupboard so might have the right things around to make them.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Life with a newborn + 3 others= tired.

PolterGoose Wed 23-Jan-13 14:01:19

To get the proper pasty consistency do this:

Chop an onion, a carrot and a swede. The swede and carrot need to be chopped in quite flat pieces, but not too small. Heat a little flavourless veg oil in a saucepan and slowly sweat the onion, swede and carrot for 5 minutes. Now cut up some ideally waxy potato into small flattish pieces. You need about double potato to the other veg. Add to pan and sweat for a few minutes. Add lots of fresh black pepper and some salt. Add a bit of water not quite to cover, turn up heat a little and stir occasionally while the water mostly evaporates. The water and potato starch will create the juiciness of the pasty! Add some frozen peas and sweetcorn. Leave to cool a little and use to fill your pasties.

Best pastry for pasties is made with a shortcrust made with strong bread flour and white fat (Trex if you are vegetarian, lard if not).

multitaskmama Wed 23-Jan-13 12:56:24

I make potato pies with my puff pastry. You can fill with lamb mince or spicy chopped up potato. Potato and sweetcorn is a good combination and they freeze really well.

Potato Puff Pastries

tethersend Wed 23-Jan-13 11:53:28

Make individual mushroom wellingtons.

Fry finely chopped onion & mushroom, then add white wine, cook off the alcohol, add soy sauce, a bit of veg stock, a pinch of marjoram and sage, chopped cashew nuts (or similar), stir and add breadcrumbs until the mixture resembles a thick pate. Blend it in food processor if required, but leave it coarse. For a firmer filling, add an egg.

Place onto pastry sheet(s), fold over, brush with egg and bake.

stressedHEmum Wed 23-Jan-13 11:45:56

Spiced, mashed sweet potato with fried onions mixed in makes a lovely pasty.

boiled potatoes, cut into chunks and mixed with some onions fried with curry powder, cooked peas and a squeeze of lime juice is nice.

little chunks of cooked potato, carrot, parsnip and swede in a little bit of white sauce.

baked beans, with the sauce drained off, mixed with some weet chili sauce and grated cheese.

multitask Wed 23-Jan-13 11:24:53

Note to self were my bloody glasses sorry folks smile

i want to make the Greggs veggie pasties, they are bloody lovely. Veg in a sort of slightly peppery white sauce. Mmm.

multitask Wed 23-Jan-13 10:49:00

Nicknamegrief my fault I think all pastry must be vegetarian I was thinking vegan sorry smile

BIWI Wed 23-Jan-13 10:49:00

I used to make these for DS2's lunchbox - ready made puff pastry is perfect! Basically I used to use anything that was leftover and put it into a pasty.

Any leftover veg with a cheese sauce added works really well. Or, leftover mashed potato, with cheese and some diced, sauteed onions.

Vegetable curry - just make sure that it's not too liquidy.

butter is vegetarian. The op was looking for veggie pasty recipes, not pastry, think thats causing some confusion?

Am confused slightly as I thought butter was vegetarian, just not suitable for vegans.

Can someone either reassure me or correct me and explain why.

Thanks in advance.

PS just use trex?

poppy283 Wed 23-Jan-13 08:35:29

I made sausage rolls last night - cook a veggie sausage for half the time on the pack. Add cheese, herbs etc to pastry, fold and roll until cheese etc is distributed evenly. Cut into strips and roll around the sausages. Brush with egg, cook at 200C for 20mins.

BertieBotts Wed 23-Jan-13 08:31:45

There's a hugh fearnley whittingstall one made with lentils and butternut squash. Amazing pasties and also works well as a shepherd's pie filling.

Not sure if this would 'translate' to pasty, sure it would.

I roll out puff pastry into a square, prick a square with fork leaving an inch all around, put sun dried tomatoes, goats cheese (sub if non dairy eater) and basil on and stick in oven.

I also do a spinach, ricotta and pine nut one. Kids love it and it feels sort of healthy (minus pastry)

hth

watching with interest. Have a nice Jamaican veggy one somewhere but its spicy, any good? i want a good plain recipe!

multitask Wed 23-Jan-13 08:18:45

Can you just sub the butter with Pure margarine? I'm too lazy to make my own and buy Jusroll puff/shortcrust/filo all vegan. smile

mamaLou13 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:54:16

I am looking for an easy vegetarian pasty recipe, i don't have loads of time but want to get some made and put in the freezer as baby is due very soon. I only have ready made puff pastry in the house so preferably using that would be great but i can pop out and get shortcrust if need be.
Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now