NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What can I do with split peas?

(14 Posts)
Taffeta Fri 25-Jan-13 10:04:37

Dhal. Yum.

Toomuchtea Fri 25-Jan-13 09:35:24

I shied away from the thought of pease pudding. I had a Ladybird book which had a picture of it and it has stayed with me and not in a good way. Soup now cooked - this is what I did:

2 red onions, chopped and cooked in a large chunk of butter (bearing in mind Skorpion's comment about using plenty), to which added 1 tspn of dried chilli and about an inch of fresh ginger, grated. Split peas (about half a pack; 250g I suppose, plus 1 pint of water) already soaked and cooked on v low heat for about 8 hours) then added, plus 2 slices of jambon serrano (fat given to the dog) plus chicken stock (one of those Knorr chicken jelly things) and another pint of water. Brought it all to the boil and then simmered for about half an hour.

Served with broad beans (boiled and outer covering removed) and some crumbled Feta. And it was jolly good.

I think I could possibly have upped the chilli, and possibly the ginger too.

gazzalw Thu 24-Jan-13 08:56:14

If you cook a gammon joint you can use the left over liquor as the stock for a good ham and pea soup....Yummy...

Or you could make pease pudding to have with ham....

Toomuchtea Thu 24-Jan-13 08:45:49

They are now soaking. I thought I might bung some chilli flakes into the mix too. I'm going to fry an onion or two in butter, sweat some carrots, whirr the soaked (and hopefully lightly cooked, as they're in the simmering oven at the mo) peas in, chicken stock and some bits of ham, and the chilli flakes. I do have some thyme in oil hanging about as well but I'm not sure that will work well with the chilli. Elderly cardamom pods? What do you think?

GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 24-Jan-13 00:34:32

If they're old you'll want to soak them first. If they are within the date on the packet, you should be fine just cooking them in the soup for an hour or so. Carrots, celery, onions, ham or smoked sausage, chicken stock. I love split pea soup, it's a big favourite of mine. smile

NatashaBee Wed 23-Jan-13 15:04:56

Oh yes, i usually soak the peas overnight before cooking them too.

Toomuchtea Wed 23-Jan-13 12:34:04

So I need to give the split peas a good long cook?

NatashaBee Tue 22-Jan-13 20:36:32

I make ham and split pea soup with leftover pork. Put stock, chopped potatoes, shredded pork and a couple of large handfuls of split peas in a slow cooker and leave for 8 hours. It works especially well with salted polk...

skorpion Tue 22-Jan-13 20:18:52

Add chopped carrot, parsnip and celeriac, or celery (if you have it) to the soup and it will be beautifully aromatic. I also add diced potato and marjoram.

If you're feeling adventurous I have a recipe from Poland which is delicious: a jar of Polish sourkraut (Tesco stock this, it has to be Polish, as German stuff has added vinegar), give it a quick rinse under running water if very sour, and chuck in a pan big enough to hold this and your peas. Fry a chopped onion or two in lots of butter (it has to be quite a bit or it will taste mean), add to the cabbage. Add water to nearly cover, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, bayleaf, cook gently until cabbage is soft (you can cook this for quite a long time).
Meanwhile boil the peas in water without adding any salt (it will slow the cooking down). Once cooked mash a bit and add to the sourkraut. Serve with sausages or ham. It takes a while to prepare so not a dish for when you have a hungry family waiting and only half an hour to spend in the kitchen but it's worth the effort. I sometimes roast ham hocks to have with this.

lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 18:02:22

soup, soup! Ham is very good. Salt, for some reason it's the only food I like to add salt to.

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 17:59:46

Split pea soup! Any good recipes? I have onions, stock, and a few bits of (not very naice) ham. Would they do do you think?

lolalotta Tue 22-Jan-13 17:28:13

I LOVE split pea soup! grin

WifeofPie Tue 22-Jan-13 15:37:37

Split pea soup...mmmm.

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 15:36:46

I have a packet of them donated by my sister in law when she moved, and they are sitting there, willing me to do something with them. But I do not know what. I've never cooked a split pea in my life. The only thing I ever did with them was stick them into plaster of paris when I was little to make moonscapes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now