Has anyone made Greek Yogurt in the oven?

(8 Posts)
OmgATalkingOnion Mon 21-Jan-13 18:08:28

Anyone?

I was thinking of giving it a go. You Tube have a couple of demos re this. Is it worth the hassle or not really?

OmgATalkingOnion Tue 22-Jan-13 09:23:30

?

?

FlyOverTheMistletoe Tue 22-Jan-13 09:38:20

well it sounds like its worth a try - I'm just off to look at it smile

Teapot13 Tue 22-Jan-13 12:24:32

I have made yogurt on the stovetop numerous times. I followed the recipe in the NY Times from several years back. Basically, you get out your biggest pot, fill it with fresh milk (the fresher the better -- shouldn't be longlife) and heat it, checking with a candy thermometer. You have to add existing yogurt (for the culture) but I think you do this after you take it off the heat. For it to set, when it cools a bit (going by the thermometer) you put it in the containers you are using and they have to be kept warm for a certain amount of time. (BTW, this is all a yogurtmaker does.) I used to put mine in glass jars and put them all together, wrapping the whole bunch in a large blanket and leaving it overnight. Some people put it in a slightly warmed oven with the light on.

As I understand it, "Greek" yogurt is strained. I have done this as well -- you just wind up with a lot less yogurt, but it is thicker.

I have just described the process but obviously these aren't directions -- I don't remember times and temperatures.

I did this a few times and felt quite virtuous but stopped because I always did large amounts and then had trouble getting it all in the fridge, it was not necessarily better than what you can buy at the store, and I didn't think it worked out to be meaningfully less expensive.

It was a fun thing to try but there are other things you can do at home where there's a bigger difference compared to store-bought and the effort is more worthwhile. (Bread, cakes come to mind.)

OmgATalkingOnion Tue 22-Jan-13 12:36:57

Thanks Teapot!smile I do wonder, as you say whether all the effort is really worth the end result in terms of time and money compared to buying it. The oven method I saw takes 8-10 hrs shockwhich seems a lot of cooking to me.

I wonder if I should just get a yogurt makerconfused Would it make thick Greek yogurt though? It's straining off the whey that makes it.

givemushypeasachance Tue 22-Jan-13 13:05:42

I've got an Easiyo or whatever they're called - the thermos type yoghurt maker. I don't use it often and generally used the mixes but I tried 'from scratch' once or twice - you use milk (even UHT milk) and add a spoon or two of natural yoghurt as a starter, put in a container and shake together then stick in the thermos full of boiling water where it'll stay warm and culture away.

Teapot13 Wed 23-Jan-13 09:26:33

Personally I would try the blanket method before investing in a yogurt maker -- all they do is maintain the right temperature. (You can also put it in your warming cupboard if you have one.)

I don't know if there's a yogurtmaker that strains, but that's extremely simple -- just buy a bit of cheesecloth, sterilize it in boiling water, and strain your yogurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now