Organic food

(8 Posts)
Tighruadh5490 Mon 21-Jan-13 13:33:15

Hi,

I was wondering what benefits there are of feeding your children organic food? How many people out there do?

Are there any reasons to feed them organic produce rather than 'normal' food? I mean, if it's on offer I'll buy it, but feel that I should maybe be giving it to them all the time?

Thanks

OhMyNoReally Mon 21-Jan-13 13:36:56

Don't bother, it feels nicer but food is food. I think we process out the
tiny amount of chemicals and its cheaper. Also I think non organic lasts longer. I did try organic and I did want benefits but I honestly gave up.

OLynnO Thu 24-Jan-13 08:52:20

I'd always go organic, when you look into some of the crap that's added to 'normal' food ie; MSG (mono sodium glutamate) just for a starter, and the things it can cause, obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer's, autism.. To name but a few, organic for me all the way.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 24-Jan-13 09:37:50

I buy organic dairy products & organic meat if I can afford it but that's where it ends. I avoid buying processed food generally. I am especially suspicious of heavily processed food that's billed as organic or makes any other health-claims because IME that tends to be a smokescreen for 'full of crap'.

I think there are far more benefits to giving children a good diet of mostly natural, nutritious, unprocessed wholefoods than one that is simply slavishly organic.

bluecarrot Thu 24-Jan-13 09:51:03

Same as cog. Animal products are organic, oh and grapes. Everything else unless only marginally more expensive ( ie. on offer!)

Drladybird Thu 24-Jan-13 12:58:13

I would love to buy all organic for people and plant but I don't due to price and availability. There are some foods that contain higher amounts of chemicals than others so I try to make sure that I get these as organic. Here is an example of such a list...

lovelyliving.com.au/eco/fact-sheets/food/dirty-list-foods-with-the-highest-chemical-level

NuclearStandoff Sat 26-Jan-13 10:20:23

I would say the most important thing when it comes to feeding your dc is to cook from scratch, not feed them ready meals which are full of additives.

Next I would look at organic ingredients - we always buy organic eggs and milk (would not consider an alternative); usually bread and most meat (always chicken and pork) because non-organic meat is full of hormones and antibiotics, which cannot be good in the long run.

Also mainly eat organic fruit and veg (but if you wash well and peel, I guess it's not so critical).

For me though I also want to support better farming practice.

I get an organic box from Riverford and enough veg, meat, bread, eggs and milk to feed a family of 4 for a week costs £45. And it's delivered to my door.

thestylethatdecadesforgot Sat 26-Jan-13 15:51:16

I was talking to someone today and they said that the amount of vitamins/nutritional value in our food has seriously reduced in the last 20 years as a result of the way it's produced. I'm sorry I don't have a link to back it up, I was about to research it myself. Anyway, the point is it got me thinking that perhaps organic would be better nutritionally because of the way it's produced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now