Recipe for ham in cherry coke done in the slow cooker please!

(7 Posts)
SESthebrave Mon 21-Jan-13 10:15:05

Just that really! I've googled and can't work out how much cherry coke to use as the slow cooker tends to keep / produce liquid. Also any tips for what works well to put in the slow cooker with it?
TIA

Lovemy3kids Tue 22-Jan-13 10:03:11

When I cooked my ham joint in coke (not cherry though), I put in a small bottle (250ml) and it cooked well. I didn't put anything else in mine - just the coke and the ham and the kids loved it!

SESthebrave Wed 23-Jan-13 07:48:33

Thank you! I didn't see your response before I cooked it. I put an onion chopped into 8 on the bottom together with a load of halved new potatoes. I smeared a bit of mustard on the gammon and sprinkled some paprika over the lot before pouring in about a litre of cherry coke.

The result was a very moist joint and potatoes that had a lovely (not too strong) taste of ham about them. No sign of the cherry coke or mustard or paprika having any impact on flavour but just a very moist gammon!

Lovemy3kids Wed 23-Jan-13 14:23:48

Did the potatoes taste different?? I am glad that it worked out well for you - I do all my joints in the slow cooker.......lamb is my absoulte favourite as it is sooooo tender!

SESthebrave Wed 23-Jan-13 18:13:43

Yes - a very slight gammony flavour to them that was very nice!

Sausage casserole in there at the moment for tonight's meal smile

Lovemy3kids Thu 24-Jan-13 09:41:00

I do like sausage casserole done in the slow cooker......the only thing I wasn't that impressed about was the bolkognese that I did in there....prefer the taste of it doing it the conventional way!

Do you find it easy to find recipes to do in the slow cooker that all the family can/will eat? I seem to do the same old thing week in and week out and can't find a decent recipe book with recipes that the DC will eat!

SESthebrave Sat 26-Jan-13 06:18:17

It depends on what we're having. 3.8yo DS had sausage casserole. He's also has roast chicken and beef casserole. He just pulls out the bits of pepper & mushroom that he doesn't like. He's fine with carrots and peas but if I chop other veg small enough, it's a good way of getting them in him!
Am doing BLW with 7mo DD and have only given her sticks of carrot from the slow cooker so far but I should try a bit more with her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now