What can I do with pork mince?

(14 Posts)
TheCountessOlenska Sun 20-Jan-13 17:36:41

DH got pork mince in some 3 for £10 offer - what can I make for dinner with it? I imagine it would taste funny in spag bol??

meatballs, add some finely chopped onion and some herbs or spices (whatever you have, I usually add some mixed italian herbs) and some garlic then make into little balls then bake in the oven. Cover with some garlic and tomato sauce and serve with pasta / spagetti.

It gives a nice and different flavour to lasagne. Or meatloaf?

jenduck Sun 20-Jan-13 17:39:12

I do a kind of cottage pie with it - fry it up with some onions, add carrots, mushrooms & pork stock, then top with mash & cheese, bake in oven till cheese bubbling.

Or you could make pork burgers, adding some grated apple. Or meatballs along the same lines.

Lifesagame Sun 20-Jan-13 17:40:25

There's a lovely BBC Good Food smoky bean taco mince recipe that uses pork mince - highly recommended by my 4 and 2 year olds! grin

Back2Two Sun 20-Jan-13 17:41:01

Make Thai pork balls:
Spring onion, Lemongrass,chilli,garlic, lime leaves (or lime zest),ginger, all chopped up small and mixed with fish sauce and egg.

Fry for a few minute in shallow nut\sunflower oil.

Mmm.

Taffeta Sun 20-Jan-13 17:41:20

Nigel Slaters really juicy spicy meatballs are delish. I put less chilli in and the DC love them.

Recipe here scroll down to find it

Portofino Sun 20-Jan-13 17:42:07

Meatloaf. recipe I can imagine it would be fine with the prosciutto - or substitute bacon....

GinandJag Sun 20-Jan-13 17:45:10

Pork mince is perfect in spag Bol. This always need something alongside beef mince, such as bacon, pork sausage or pork mince.

TheCountessOlenska Sun 20-Jan-13 17:52:16

Oh yum! I wish I'd posted this earlier and I could have popped in the supermarket on the way home from work (Sunday night always a meal planning disaster as DH and I work all weekend blush )

Like the sound of grating apple into it, and the Thai meatballs - but think I will do just garlicky, oniony meatballs with a spicy tomato sauce and spaghetti - as that's all I have in blush

Do I have to bind the meatballs with egg or anything - as also have no eggs

Pleased to hear it goes well in lasagne and spag bol - I have never bought it before!

sashh Mon 21-Jan-13 06:46:39

Make a pie.

seeker Mon 21-Jan-13 06:51:01

If I'm making proper slow cooked bolognaise sauce,I use 3:1 beef and pork mince. It makes it so much better.

ISeeSmallPeople Mon 21-Jan-13 06:54:01

Thai pork mince on noodles or in lettuce. Takes about 3 minutes and tastes amazing.

beachyhead Mon 21-Jan-13 06:58:35

We make rissoles... Grated carrot, onion, or celery or leek. Mix up with pork mince, breadcrumbs, one egg, maybe apple sauce if you have it. Make small burger shapes and cook in oven, turning them over once.

They freeze well on baking trays, then transfer them to freezer bags, for emergency dinners...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now