Mashed potato

(35 Posts)
gastrognome Sun 20-Jan-13 13:11:35

Hello,
Just wondering how other people make mashed potato, and if they really truly manage to get it lump-free.

Because no matter how hard I try, or how long I mash, mine is always lumpy.

I either use peeled boiled spuds, or I microwave them and then spoon out the flesh. Then mash (using your basic common or garden potato masher) together with a dash of milk and a splat of butter. And mash, and mash, and mash...

Have also tried using a fork, and a friend's slightly differently designed potato masher. Still lumpy.

I have read that a potato ricer is the answer to lump free mash, but is it honestly the only solution? Have limited space for even more kitchen gadgetry.

Thanks all!

FredFredGeorge Mon 21-Jan-13 09:04:55

There's nothing I find more disgusting than smooth mash potato! I never realised it was an actual aim of people? Is it actually popular then?

Bunbaker Mon 21-Jan-13 20:59:26

"There's nothing I find more disgusting than smooth mash potato! I never realised it was an actual aim of people? Is it actually popular then?"

Are you weird?

FredFredGeorge Mon 21-Jan-13 22:02:25

Yes very possibly Bunbaker smile

I just like a bit of texture to my mash (Generally I'll put Potato with skins on, swede, carrot, milk, butter, cheese) and only pretty roughly mash rather than aiming for a smooth texture.

Had Hutsput in Holland once, that was pretty similar to the sort of mash I liked, so maybe I'm just secretly Dutch.

StripeyBear Tue 22-Jan-13 08:57:01

Use the ricer and batch cook it. I know that sounds a bit mad, but you can go to Lidl and buy 7.5kg of potatoes for £1.89 - you only get the peeler, masher etc dirty once. Boil them up in a stock pot. Mash and leave to cool. Then divide into whatever portion suits your family size and freeze.

My 600g portions microwave in 8 mins, stir plus 90 seconds. It freezes well and is so convenient.

Just think you can have sausages, mash and beans on the table in under 15 minutes, and with virtually no washing up too.

PigletJohn Tue 22-Jan-13 09:24:02

doesn't frozen mash go watery?

Pascha Tue 22-Jan-13 09:30:37

I find mashing quite therapeutic really. The secret to smooth mash is Desiree potatoes, not boiled to disintegration (makes potato gloop instead), dash of salt, drop of milk, fuckloads of butter and mashing the bastards to kingdom come.

The mash is great and so is my stress levels. Win-win.

MrsBucketxx Tue 22-Jan-13 09:32:40

No I use frozen mash all the time, usually in 20k bags of potatoes, freeze and I have mash when ever I want.

You need to portion it up accordingly and viola

rubyrubyruby Tue 22-Jan-13 09:34:03

I buy mine already done

gastrognome Wed 23-Jan-13 09:50:42

Like the idea of batch cooking and freezing. Will try that next time!
Thank you smile

StripeyBear Wed 23-Jan-13 22:24:06

Don't find it's watery - seems to work quite well.

After the first 8 mins in the microwave, you can also give it a stir and add extra butter or milk or cheese - before the final 90 secs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now