Come and tell me your top 10 cook-and-freeze meals - if you don't, you are condemning my family to a future of fish fingers and waffles!!!

(107 Posts)
Greensleeves Fri 18-Jan-13 15:50:21

We just seem to have less time these days, and I am finding that I don't actually want to come in from a long day's work and start chopping bloody vegetables blush

I love cooking and am pretty good at it, and so is dh, and we all have very wide taste, no veggie-refusenik kids etc

So what are your top 10 freeze-for-later dishes/ Joking aside, I do cook from fresh a lot and I like doing it, but there are increasingly frequently times when dh and I just look at each other and say "fuck it, there are some fishcakes in the freezer"

I've cooked and frozen things like soups, lasagne, burgers, veggie burgers, falafels, apple pies, strudel, steak pies

but would love some inspiration and some more exciting and tempting ideas!

Loanoffer1 Thu 31-Jul-14 19:08:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Thu 28-Feb-13 18:17:17

turkey parcels are fab! Thank you to whoever posted that one. We are eating them now with frozen mash. An MN meal. Well to complete we should probably have chocolate cake microwaved in a mug.

sashh Thu 28-Feb-13 04:16:46

When I've done a roast I freeze left over meat in left over gravy and freeze the cooked veg and Yorkshires too.

Anything mashed - potatoes, carrots, swede.

Anything with a sauce, casseroles, curry etc.

Anything in pastry, pies, pasties etc.

Anything topped with mash - shepherd's pie, fish pie.

Home made versions of fishcakes, chicken nuggets, meatballs.

I always reheat these from frozen.

CMP69 Wed 27-Feb-13 17:19:44

I have actully just had a tidy of my freezer this afternoon. There is:
Bolognaise
Chilli
Greek lamb stew (nigella)
home made soup (various)
meatballs (no sauce)
mince (for shepherds pie or with dumplings)
chicken and veg Risotto
Chicken and chorizo stew
Lasagne
Sorry not 10, but not bad, more than I thought, was quite pleased smile

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Wed 27-Feb-13 12:21:04

Can someone post a good, freezable sweet and sour sauce recipe please.

Laradaclara Sat 16-Feb-13 23:39:01

I've never found freezing rice works very well personally. I've tried freezing risotto but the texture changes a lot and it goes too mushy. However I sometimes cook he start of a risotto/pilaf using all the ingredients that do freeze eg i often do one with onions, chicken, chorizo, vermouth or wine, saffron, bay leaves and olives. If you then freeze that then all you need to do add rice, water or stock and cook.

I often freeze partially made recipes that I can then finish quickly. Sauces work well like this. For example, mix cumin, chopped chilli, coriander leaves, salt and pepper, spring onions and garlic and divide into an ice cube tray. Each portion makes salsa if you mix with a fresh chopped tomato.

Laradaclara Sat 16-Feb-13 23:34:45

I've never found freezing rice works very well personally. I've tried freezing risotto but the texture changes a lot and it goes too mushy. However I sometimes cook he start of a risotto/pilaf using all the ingredients that do freeze eg i often do one with onions, chicken, chorizo, vermouth or wine, saffron, bay leaves and olives. If you then freeze that then all you need to do add rice, water or stock and cook.

I often freeze partially made recipes that I can then finish quickly. For exam

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 16-Feb-13 23:16:39

Marking place.

I am returning to work after ten years at home the week after next and i have no idea how i will have time to cook dinners!

MushroomSoup Sat 16-Feb-13 23:09:59

Interested in the 'frozen bag of ingredients/slow cooker' thing! I looked at the link but couldn't quite understand it.
If, for example, I was making stew, would I put the raw meat, chopped veg etc all in a bag together and freeze it?

Palmtree Wed 13-Feb-13 16:45:54

Is it okay to freeze cooked rice? Have heard conflicting stories, (someone once told me it might contain bacterium), so any comments? It would be very handy for lots of meal ideas if it's okay to freeze for the future.

EugenesAxe Tue 12-Feb-13 12:23:17

Echoing a few already but mine are:

Chilli con carne
Shepherd's pie
Boeuf Bourguinon
Ricotta & Spinach pasta bake
Macaroni Cheese
Lasagne (when I have the energy to make it... as I do a proper Ragu that's takes ages to cook)
Lamb and Potato curry
Pork belly cheat's cassolet type thing

I freeze cakes & puddings when I have the time to cook them as I often have events or groups requiring them that sneak up on me.

itinerant Tue 05-Feb-13 07:12:45

Fedupnagging Tue 05-Feb-13 06:55:45

This is a great thread-am always looking for inspiration as its very difficult to get a meal that all 3ds's will like!

I try to find time to batch cook then freeze in both family sized portions and individual size- with 3 teenage boys, people are quite often eating a different times and do what most of you are cooking. Love the idea of freezing the ingredients for a slow cooker meal I one pack.

Ideas I've not seen mentioned: cook a batch of pancakes then freeze between layers of grease proof paper. Really easy to take out what is needed and cook in the microwave for a few seconds. The same with sponge puddings-I bake them in the oven in the silicone baking tray as easy to remove esp if its syrup sponge.

I also freeze fairy cakes, biscuits, buttercream icing etc all of which don't take long to defrost. Oh, and teabread, in slices, then defrost/cook, in the toaster.

reastie Mon 04-Feb-13 14:20:11

marking place to read later as we are having our kitchen redone soon and I need to cook lots of meals ready to microwave when we have no cooker for weeks

Spinnerbear Thu 31-Jan-13 12:39:45

If I am making one of our regulars, like spag bol, tacos, etc, I make a double or triple batch and then freeze the rest. Same if I am making our sausage meat pie (made with Lorne sausage), or cooking a turkey at a holiday, make extra and freeze it. I make batches of cakes (sultana cake, Dundee gingerbread, etc) cook them in loaf pans with liners, cool and freeze them for quick puds or to take on picnics in the summer.

WantAnOrange Mon 28-Jan-13 20:17:36

pasties
ratatouille
gnocci
risotto

I like bulk cooking blush

WantAnOrange Mon 28-Jan-13 20:15:56

Bolognese
lasagne
chilli con carne
bean chilli
fish pie
fish stew
curries
pies
beef bourgonioun
macaroni cheese
cowboy beans
hotpot
sausage casserole
beef stew
pizza
soup

nannyl Sun 27-Jan-13 14:07:32

chicken korma
grreen thai chicken
chilli
bolognese
cottage pie
chicken casserole
beef casserole
sausage casserole
fish pie
pasta bake
lamb tagine

opps thats 11!

pixi2 Sat 26-Jan-13 20:45:13

I have the luxury if not freezing meals but here is one of my quickies.

Make too much mashed potato the night before. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.

Turn into veg fingers (circles are more popular with dc) add frozen peas and tinned sweet corn. Roll into small balls and flatten slightly. Sprinkle both sudes with flour. Gently fry in a little butter snd squash into a finger shape. Serve with prepared salad and beetroot (also a hugely popular food as it colours dc fingers).

If you have more time you can do the dip in egg and breadcrumbs.

With even more time the breadcrumbs are delicious if you add some Cajun spices and bashed Pringles.

Spookey80 Sat 26-Jan-13 20:41:30

ProfYaffle Sat 26-Jan-13 20:37:35

Totem - I don't do a whole month's worth of food. Every fortnight or so I'll do 4 meals which cover the 2 days per week when I don't have time to cook. I generally see what I can scavenge from the yellow sticker section in the supermarket and build the dish around that.

babsmam Sat 26-Jan-13 20:21:07

TotemPole Sat 26-Jan-13 20:10:06

MonthlyWishes & ProfYaffle, that is a good idea. All that peeling, chopping and cutting up out of the way in one go. I don't have the freezer space to do a months worth, but I could try 1 - 2 weeks.

Greensleeves, for the foil trays, try the local discount houseware shops or ebay. Not sure how big these are I don't have a ruler handy.

MonthlyWishesCameAndWent Sat 26-Jan-13 10:04:34

Think the American idea of freezing all the fresh / raw ingrediants into a bag, so its cooked from fresh in the slow cooker whilst you're at work is genius. And I thought Americans were all unhealthy!!

sashh Sat 26-Jan-13 06:07:23

Shepherds pie - put loads of veg in and it is a complete meal.

The same with fish pie.

If I do a roast dinner I pack up a couple of portions, usually the meat in gravy in one container and they veg, roasts, YP in another. I tend to use foil ones that can go straight to the oven.

Lasagne is another good one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now