NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Come and tell me your top 10 cook-and-freeze meals - if you don't, you are condemning my family to a future of fish fingers and waffles!!!

(106 Posts)
Greensleeves Fri 18-Jan-13 15:50:21

We just seem to have less time these days, and I am finding that I don't actually want to come in from a long day's work and start chopping bloody vegetables blush

I love cooking and am pretty good at it, and so is dh, and we all have very wide taste, no veggie-refusenik kids etc

So what are your top 10 freeze-for-later dishes/ Joking aside, I do cook from fresh a lot and I like doing it, but there are increasingly frequently times when dh and I just look at each other and say "fuck it, there are some fishcakes in the freezer"

I've cooked and frozen things like soups, lasagne, burgers, veggie burgers, falafels, apple pies, strudel, steak pies

but would love some inspiration and some more exciting and tempting ideas!

Laradaclara Sat 16-Feb-13 23:34:45

I've never found freezing rice works very well personally. I've tried freezing risotto but the texture changes a lot and it goes too mushy. However I sometimes cook he start of a risotto/pilaf using all the ingredients that do freeze eg i often do one with onions, chicken, chorizo, vermouth or wine, saffron, bay leaves and olives. If you then freeze that then all you need to do add rice, water or stock and cook.

I often freeze partially made recipes that I can then finish quickly. For exam

Laradaclara Sat 16-Feb-13 23:39:01

I've never found freezing rice works very well personally. I've tried freezing risotto but the texture changes a lot and it goes too mushy. However I sometimes cook he start of a risotto/pilaf using all the ingredients that do freeze eg i often do one with onions, chicken, chorizo, vermouth or wine, saffron, bay leaves and olives. If you then freeze that then all you need to do add rice, water or stock and cook.

I often freeze partially made recipes that I can then finish quickly. Sauces work well like this. For example, mix cumin, chopped chilli, coriander leaves, salt and pepper, spring onions and garlic and divide into an ice cube tray. Each portion makes salsa if you mix with a fresh chopped tomato.

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Wed 27-Feb-13 12:21:04

Can someone post a good, freezable sweet and sour sauce recipe please.

CMP69 Wed 27-Feb-13 17:19:44

I have actully just had a tidy of my freezer this afternoon. There is:
Bolognaise
Chilli
Greek lamb stew (nigella)
home made soup (various)
meatballs (no sauce)
mince (for shepherds pie or with dumplings)
chicken and veg Risotto
Chicken and chorizo stew
Lasagne
Sorry not 10, but not bad, more than I thought, was quite pleased smile

sashh Thu 28-Feb-13 04:16:46

When I've done a roast I freeze left over meat in left over gravy and freeze the cooked veg and Yorkshires too.

Anything mashed - potatoes, carrots, swede.

Anything with a sauce, casseroles, curry etc.

Anything in pastry, pies, pasties etc.

Anything topped with mash - shepherd's pie, fish pie.

Home made versions of fishcakes, chicken nuggets, meatballs.

I always reheat these from frozen.

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Thu 28-Feb-13 18:17:17

turkey parcels are fab! Thank you to whoever posted that one. We are eating them now with frozen mash. An MN meal. Well to complete we should probably have chocolate cake microwaved in a mug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now