Red onion chutney in a slow cooker?

(10 Posts)
ripsishere Wed 16-Jan-13 00:45:54

Just that. I live in Malaysia and pickles/chutneys are either not available of many ringett to buy.
I found a recipe on here for red onion chutney and wondered, rather than boiling it for an hour whether I could put it into my slow cooker?

PolterGoose Wed 16-Jan-13 13:51:36

I can't see how it would work in a slow cooker as boiling off the water from the ingredients is essential and a slow cooker retains the water. You need the steam to be able to escape which is why chutney is best cooked in a wide open pan. I would warn you I've never got chutney done in less than 3 hours of simmering...

MoreBeta Wed 16-Jan-13 13:57:18

I made a really surprisingly good imprompto tomato, pepper and parika (garlic, onions, spices, vinegar, sugar and water as well) chutney last week.

I just bunged all the ingredients in a glass bowl and microwaved to a sticky jammy mass. It worked brilliantly but leave to cool a bit before getting it out or you might burn yourself and decant into a sterile jam jar and screw lid down tight. Keep it in fridge.

I would boil....agree with PolterGoose. But then I have done it in an hour, and it tastes great. Only problem is that DH and 6yo eat it all too quickly!

Disclaimer - I don't like my slow cooker.

PolterGoose Wed 16-Jan-13 14:34:59

Boiling time does depend on ingredients, thanks to an abundant plum tree my chutney always has many plums which take an age to become good chutney.

However, if you just want to make a small batch and can keep the jars in the fridge the slow cooker may be ok? Similarly with microwave. But to preserve for months or years you do need to boil off a huge amount of water.

Jojobump1986 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:39:57

Please could you link to the original recipe - it sounds lovely.

ripsishere Thu 17-Jan-13 01:13:30

Brilliant, thanks for that recipe Jojo. I don't have a microwave yet and I'm not sure how much gas I've got left.
I'll give that recipe a go and report back. It'll have to be without grenadine, not sure I could even get that here (malaysia)

JamNan Thu 17-Jan-13 11:41:13

Could you adapt this curried fruit chutney recipe?

ripsishere Mon 21-Jan-13 05:58:20

Yes, I think i could. I'll probably half the quantities though or I'll end up a bit chutney'd out.
The red onion one turned out OK once I'd boiled the excess liquid off. I was astonished by how little it made though. I sterilized three jars and used one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now