NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Is marg and vegetable oils ......

(163 Posts)
wildirishrose Sun 13-Jan-13 08:28:48

Bad for you?

caramelwaffle Tue 22-Jan-13 14:54:17

SnowLiviaMumsnet A very witty, clever MN Nickname.

Looks good ninja.
I just leave my butter out on the side, it's spreadable enough.

ninja Mon 21-Jan-13 22:39:49
ninja Mon 21-Jan-13 22:33:55

My mum has spreadable butter that has no vegetable oil - I think Kerrygold and Loseley - might go and check. Would they be OK?

SnowLiviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Jan-13 19:04:47

CobOnTheCorn

Would anyone mind if I asked for this thread to be moved in to Food?

I have found it really interesting and I think it's a shame that it will evaporate if it stays in chat.

We'll move this one now.
Thanks for flagging.

caramelwaffle Mon 21-Jan-13 19:02:43

Good idea Cob

CobOnTheCorn Mon 21-Jan-13 18:43:42

Would anyone mind if I asked for this thread to be moved in to Food?

I have found it really interesting and I think it's a shame that it will evaporate if it stays in chat.

Spreadable butter used to be just butter that had been whipped to include air. Nowadays it is generally butter mixed with vegetable oil. I would avoid.

Onetwothreeoops Thu 17-Jan-13 17:44:47

Lamazeroo (or anyone else around in the know) when you say butter does that include spreadable butter?

GirlOutNumbered Thu 17-Jan-13 13:50:13

Well, I bought some butter and have eaten it and fed my CMP intolerant baby. Fingers crossed.
I had it on a hot cross bun. It was delicious.

Thumbwitch Thu 17-Jan-13 13:04:21

Butter isn't pure fat. It's at least 80% fat (by law); the rest is water, a bit of salt, a tiny amount of lactose and some residual casein proteins - plus the vitamins and minerals.

AdoraBell Thu 17-Jan-13 12:53:17

Lamazeroo

May I ask, please, is there a difference between the pure butter you mentioned and standard butter from the supermarket?

Disclaimer - yes, I know I'm probably just being dim blush

Bunbaker Thu 17-Jan-13 12:29:57

"So surely this would mean that cream would also be alright as it is the fat the butter is made from?"

I don't think so as I find that cream gives me the most horrendous diarrhoea and butter doesn't

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Thu 17-Jan-13 12:22:54

So I was just thinking about the small amount of butter being okay for lactose intolerant people as it is pure fat.

So surely this would mean that cream would also be alright as it is the fat the butter is made from?

I may have to run a (potentially very smelly) experiment on this...

CoteDAzur Thu 17-Jan-13 12:20:54

I met her about a year ago. She got up and talked about her beliefs re raw food & vegetarianism, and also told her story. Then poor girl sat at my table smile Anyway, she talked about how she was so much better because of her new diet, but also said that her cancer has metastised which basically means that cancer has won and she doesn't have much time left sad

I have to go now but will come back to comment on inflammation & digestion of food. I thought her account of especially the latter was quite fictional, bordering on fantastical.

Thumbwitch Thu 17-Jan-13 12:00:26

Cote - do you mean that she has the cancer back again?

I can only assume that she was talking about the fats in meat, which tend towards producing pro-inflammatory prostaglandins; but also over-cooked meat is hard to digest because of the denaturation and toughening of the protein fibres, so it's hard going for the stomach acids to open up the proteins and provide the proteases with their access points to break down the protein molecules into polypeptides and oligopeptides, which can then be further broken down in the small intestine to dipeptides and amino acids, which we can absorb. But then amino acids in excess create an acidic environment which can be considered inflammatory as well (contributes to joint inflammation etc.)
"Rotting in your gut" - well, if you have poor/slow digestion then yes, it's possible that partially digested meat will stay in your colon for an extended period of time, which has been linked to colon cancer.

Inflammatory grains - certainly possible - the damage done to the small intestinal villi by the immune response mounted against gluten in coeliacs could be described as inflammatory, I suppose. Not sure that the non-glutinous grains could have the same effect, but if a person was actively allergic to them, then they could.

CoteDAzur Thu 17-Jan-13 11:37:45

"grains (and other inflamatory/insulin spiking foods) "

I'm very curious as to what "inflammatory" means in this context. Are you saying that out body's inner tissues swell up as we digest these foods?

I was at a lunch with this expert and she tried to convince me that meat is "inflammatory", can't be digested, and "rots in your colon". I went easy on her because, well, she is dying. Still, I can't even understand what made her think so.

And now you seem to be saying that actually grains are inflammatory. Do you think meat is inflammatory, too?

Bunbaker Thu 17-Jan-13 07:04:18

Thank you all for your advice. Although my nn implies I do a lot of baking, I don't bake as often as you think. I will give the no grain approach a try.

TepidCoffee Wed 16-Jan-13 22:28:33

Interesting point about how lard is produced, Scotch (although do you mean pork rather than beef?). Good tip about saving the fat from roasts for frying.

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 16-Jan-13 17:10:22

Cats - I'm Paleo/primal, interestingly often used as a template for Gaps and similar diets - no grains at all (well, very occasional small bowl of white rice), it's certainly interesting to read into this stuff. I think some people can tolerate grains (and other inflamatory/insulin spiking foods) better than others, but in the long run, imo our modern processed/fake food diet makes us ALL ill to some degree, and many of us, very ill!

Catsdontcare Wed 16-Jan-13 16:43:06

Scotchandwry I found elana's pantry good for recipes and if you google gaps diet quite a lot comes up. I'm reading gut and psychology syndrome at the mo.

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 16-Jan-13 15:39:34

Catsdontcare Can you recommend any good websites. I suffer from IBS and am looking for more ideas on how to deal with it.

Bunbaker, you might want to try removing ALL (yes all, absolutely all) grain products from your diet for a short time (a month), to see what happens. That would include rice, oats, barely wheat, maize... if you get a big improvement in your symptoms you could then reintroduce one at a time (I suggest trying white rice first, as that is the least likely of the grains to cause ibs symptoms). Eat the reintroduced food daily for several days before adding in any other new foods.

But I guess with a name like bunbaker you might find that a little hard smile

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 16-Jan-13 15:25:51

*Why I prefer 'real' fats to those others*:
About seven years ago, I broke my arm, badly. I was quite traumatised, and didnt leave the house much for 6 months or so. Over that six months, cooking and eating kept me sane. Someone gave me the River Cottage cookbook. It was excellent. For 6 months I cooked with butter, cream, cheese, meat, fresh veg... I didnt use anything processed. One week, I used 2.5 litres of double cream! When I returned to work, (after 6 months) I weighed 1 stone less than when I left!

CATPUSS, I love this wee story - tallies very much with my own experiences of ditching anything processed and decreasing carbs, increasing natural fats including double cream (minus the broken arm smile).

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 16-Jan-13 15:08:12

So then a normal (and cheap!!) packet of lard from the chiller cabinet next to the butter is a decent alternative to expensive coconut oil for frying, roasting potatoes etc? Better for you than sunflower oil.

Maybe someone has answered this already over the fo;;owing 4 pages but

No, lard may not be a good idea - in theory, nothing wrong with lard, but unfortunately there is plenty wrong with the methods used to commercially extract lard from beef waste - dissolved in chemicals then more nasty stuff added to remove those chemicals.

If you roast meat joints, pour off the fat and let it solidify in a cup, you will get a disc of pure white fat which is great from frying and totally natural.

Cold pressed, raw coconut oil is fantastic stuff. Cheaper to buy online ie Biona raw organic coconut oil, expensive yes (about £9 for a large jar), but a little goes a long way (it is for coating and shallow fry or roasting - not deep frying!), it is full of brain friendly compounds.

I use organic butter too and cold pressed olive oil (as a salad dressing).

MrsPennyapple Wed 16-Jan-13 14:32:00

Fiddle I did have a look at what OU had to offer a few months ago, I saw that course and thought it looked like the kind of thing that would be good to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now