Is marg and vegetable oils ......

(163 Posts)
wildirishrose Sun 13-Jan-13 08:28:48

Bad for you?

You can't see intrinsic sugars become extrinsic when you squeeze an orange into a glass! It doesn't mean it's not happening. Hence why orange juice is more cariogenic than whole orange. see P7 of the NICE report

WeAreEternal Sun 13-Jan-13 12:14:55

Olive oil and olive oil spreads and coconut oil are the only really true 'pure' and healthy options.
butter, vegtable oil, and all of those are full of processed junk, are revolting and so unhealthy.

NuclearStandoff Sun 13-Jan-13 12:17:10

Very interesting thread.

I gave up drinking fruit juice at breakfast some time ago after hearing this, and to try and lose a bit of weight- and I think it has made a positive difference.

As for oils, I use rice-bran oil for high temperature cooking, 'light' olive oil for sweating onions etc and organic olive oil and organic rapeseed oil for salads - I am very keen on rapeseed oil because it is produced in the UK, although I only use very high quality, usually organic, cold-pressed oil.

Not keen on butter for me because try to be vegan as much as possible for environmental reasons, but do give it to the rest of the family.

Tepid and Lamazeroo I would like to know your opinions on rice bran oil and organic cold-pressed rapeseed oil please.

Thumbwitch Sun 13-Jan-13 12:19:15

WeAre, that is a load of tosh. Have you read the ingredients list on, for e.g., Olivio?
Here you are:
Ingredients (13):
Vegetable(s) Oil Blend (Canola Oil Liquid, Soybean(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Olive Oil) , Whey from Milk, Salt, Vegetable(s) Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate Used to protect quality, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene Added for Color, Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial

Butter, on the other hand:
Butter,Salt (1.7%) ,Minimum Milkfat content 80%

'Are they AKiss? Well then I would think the natural whatever in milk would become whatever when churned and turned into butter as well. Are they?'

Tee: I don't know about butter. I know about sugars as my degree involved a lot of study of sugars. I am inclined to agree with your motto, as well as Ben Goldacre's opinion of nutritionists.

TheSecondComing Sun 13-Jan-13 12:24:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 13-Jan-13 12:34:44

I agree have never ever bought nothing but real butter, don't use veg oils or artificial sweeteners.

My aunties a great believer in lard, she did an experiment with lard verses veg oil and the lard cooked chips came out as un greasy as possible and lasted months <boak> and the veg oil chips came out soaked in oil and the oil had ran out in a week. Now I'm not advocating deep fat fryers but I did think it was interesting how the lard didn't soak into the chips.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 13-Jan-13 12:39:50

<high-5s Tee and departs for saner territory>

sashh Sun 13-Jan-13 12:50:38

Just looked at ghee and coconut oil and it is very expensive.

Don't buy them in the supermarket, go to an Asian grocer.

Lamazaroo: hope you don't mind me asking but is a nutritionist the same as a dietician? Do you have the same qualifications?

It depends where Lama is.

In the UK the word 'dietician' is protected. It means someone has the qualifications to work for the NHS.

Nutritainist CAN be somebody highly qualified, but it can also be someone who has read one chapter of a book.

Thumbwitch Sun 13-Jan-13 13:01:14

A dietitian will have a degree in dietetics and be a registered member of the Health and Care Professions Council. A nutritionist may be a clinical nutritionist, who may also be qualified to work in the NHS; or it may be someone who, as sashh says, has read a book.
www.dietetics.co.uk/article-nutrition-advisor.asp

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Sun 13-Jan-13 13:15:33

Why I prefer 'real' fats to those others:
About seven years ago, I broke my arm, badly. I was quite traumatised, and didnt leave the house much for 6 months or so. Over that six months, cooking and eating kept me sane. Someone gave me the River Cottage cookbook. It was excellent. For 6 months I cooked with butter, cream, cheese, meat, fresh veg... I didnt use anything processed. One week, I used 2.5 litres of double cream! When I returned to work, (after 6 months) I weighed 1 stone less than when I left! confused

Lamazeroo Sun 13-Jan-13 13:16:29

Oh gosh, can I assure you all that I am a registered, qualified nutritionist with a degree! Can't write much now as I'm supposed to be supervising my child but I'll be back later to scribble some more on oils, juices etc.

JollyToddles Sun 13-Jan-13 13:22:09

So why are cartons of orange juice allowed to say they contain 100% orange juice? That has to be illegal surely if they have additives in?

QuickLookBusy Sun 13-Jan-13 13:33:03

Orange Juice doesn't contain any additives. It's pure orange juice, but can be "bad" for you as it has a lot of natural sugars. I think one small glass a day is probably ok though.

Something labelled Orange Juice Drink will contain additives.

rubyredbeau Sun 13-Jan-13 13:43:23

What about ground nut oil ? I would use it quite often for pan frying things ?

wildirishrose Sun 13-Jan-13 14:30:12

It is difficult to accept at first, but when all is said and done, the processing of the commercial fruit juices on the market today leaves almost nothing but fructose to race through your arteries.

The popular fruit juices that adorn our breakfast tables every morning (excluding freshly squeezed), whether at home or in restaurants, has the skin removed, fiber extracted and has most likely undergone the pasteurization process to kill all bacteria -- good and bad. This includes destroying all the natural enzymes that are alive in the natural fruit which aids in both digestion and other natural bodily functions; pasteurization also destroys a large amount of the vitamins and minerals. The CDC reports that about 98 percent of all fruit juices sold in the United States have been pasteurized. If it's canned, bottled or in a carton, fruit juice does more harm than good.

A study at Baylor College of Medicine found no association between 100 percent fruit juice consumption and weight gain, but it has been shown to increase blood sugar and blood pressure levels, and increase triglycerides. The sudden surge of acidic sugar (no matter what the source) can inflame the arteries, and too much inflammation in the body leads to arterial disease.

A wide variety of the supermarket fruit juices even have added sugar, thus increasing the chance of damage. The manufacturers of these so-called fruit drinks use marketing techniques that fool the public into thinking their products are nutritious when in fact they contain more sugar (or even high fructose corn syrup) than the juice itself. Also remember, whenever a label reads juice cocktail, it will invariably have added sugar.

NuclearStandoff Sun 13-Jan-13 14:38:49

On the fruit juice thing, I'd like to ask about cranberry juice.

This is supposed to have a lot of health benefits, protect against Alzheimers etc. But it is impossible to drink in its natural form because cranberries are so sour, they have to be mixed either with apple juice or have sugar added.

Also Pomegranate juice - also has a reputation for being healthy?

CoteDAzur Sun 13-Jan-13 14:45:59

Sunflower seed oil for frying. Olive oil for everything else.

That is the Mediterranean way and it has served us well for many generations.

JollyToddles Sun 13-Jan-13 15:04:32

Okay, wildirish, but that is not what you were asserting earlier.

I am careful about ingredients and we rarely have orange juice because I said already I don't like the processes that the juice goes through.

At the moment if my pregnant body wants the odd glass of orange juice I'm going to oblige.

Loads of foods are bad for you. It doesn't mean we can't have any ever. It just means we have to think about how often we have them.

Nobody on mumsnet would dare suggest that, because the physical benefits of chocolate do not outweigh the health problems it can cause, it should be banned altogether.

This includes destroying all the natural enzymes that are alive in the natural fruit which aids in both digestion and other natural bodily functions

Any article that states enzymes are alive will lose me from that point on.... and what other natural bodily functions are they going to assist with???

soontobeburns Sun 13-Jan-13 15:51:09

We only use butter due to it being more natural.

My NHS nutritionist told me to use sweetener instead of sugar. I told her this shouldnt be as sweetener is harder for the body to break down and makes you crave more sugar. I then walked out opps.

wildirishrose Sun 13-Jan-13 16:12:34

Jollytoddles I said orange has additives if you research carton juices you will see flavour packs are added.

Its better to squeeze a real orange and drink the juice.

Catsdontcare Sun 13-Jan-13 16:18:00

If you buy cold pressed juice (frickin expensive) you will see how it is totally different to other freshly squeezed type juices.

timidviper Sun 13-Jan-13 16:30:45

soon I never cease to be amazed at the rubbish trotted out by some NHS dieticians/nutritionists. They have an obscene haste to give elderly patients those horrid sip feed cartons which then "medicalises" nutrition and often means they eat less.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Sun 13-Jan-13 20:15:32

Tee2072 this link talks about what I read in the book I've recently purchased.

I can't vouch for the science behind it, but it's there to be shot at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now