NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Breadmaker - is it worth it?

(38 Posts)
KoalaTale Wed 09-Jan-13 20:51:57

Currently I buy bread from Sainsbury, but I'm keen to reduce salt in my diet and dcs. We love bread! But I'm worried it could become a time consuming ans little used gadget...

Does anyone have experience of them? I'm looking at a Panasonic one with lots of functions as I have little free time. I wonder whether I'd ever recoup the £100 machine cost too through cheaper loaves, though my primary concern is health and I'd like to reduce the salt and cut out the additives of packaged food.

Any experience and opinions much appreciated!

ouryve Fri 11-Jan-13 19:04:48

I've just used the Allinsons extra strong flour for the first time and it's made a lovely loaf. I normally use the Doves farm, though, for white bread with sainsburys own yeast. For brown, I use the Sainsburys brown - it's not too mealy for DS2 and doesn't need the wholemeal program. Even brown bread hating DS1 will eat a fresh crust made with it.

KoalaTale Mon 14-Jan-13 10:38:16

I used the taste the difference Sainsbury flour, that was very nice. Also bought the Sainsbury wholemeal non-ttd flour and that was very nice.

How much salt does anyone use?I followed the recipe but used lo salt instead of standard, perhaps I'd be better off using a lower quantity of standard salt though.

lolalotta Mon 14-Jan-13 12:34:50

I use the salt that is recommended in the recipe otherwise it just tastes weird IMO!!!

I love my Panasonic machine and we use it most days...seeing as there as so many experts on this thread, can I ask a question?

Usually my bread rises nicely (usually do 1/3 wholemeal, 2/3 white), but at the moment there is a big dent in it - instread of "doming up" it is "doming down" if you get me. So the bread is denser than it should be. Any ideas as to why?

Thanks.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 14-Jan-13 14:11:27

I put one teaspoon of salt in the typical loaf. It's still a lot less than commercially produced bread.

@fedupwithdeployment... might there be a bit too much liquid in your mixture? I find dents happen when the loaf has over-risen and then collapsed on itself.

wadadlis Mon 14-Jan-13 14:16:26

I just put a little bit of salt in my bread, not the 1tsp they recommend - never measure it but it's probably half a tsp at most. Tastes fine to me.

What yeast do you use everyone?

The allinson one comes in a very useful tin but says 'not suitable for breadmakers'. The alternative in Sainos seems to be annoying sachets? Need to be able to measure it out with the Panasonic scoop, so sachets hopeless (and expensive). Any suggestions?

Rooble Mon 14-Jan-13 14:22:49

I use the sachets, pour it into the measure through a small hole. And agree that the Allinsons tin would be far better!

The yeast that comes in the YELLOW Allinsons tin is not suitable for bread machines, but the yeast that comes in the pale green tin is. It is also cheaper (gram for gram) than buying sachets.

@ cogito...I have been measuring, so doubt that's the problem, but will reduce quantity a bit tonight, and see if it works. Thanks.

ethelb Mon 14-Jan-13 15:36:56

I think so. You'll figure out the best recipe for your machine and you will be able to knock them out in 1min flat and they actually work out cheaper than baking it as they are more energy efficient than an oven. So there is a saving there to of about 8-20p per loaf.

That said I use a pair of dough hooks and bake mine as you hav emroe control. Plus dough hooks are baout £20-£30.

Coconutfeet Tue 15-Jan-13 17:53:16

I've been using my Panasonic for a few years with the yellow allinsons yeast. I had no idea it wasn't suitable for bread machines till today! <Unobservent>
I've been really happy with the results too. My bread's going to be amazing with the right yeast.
I agree with someone upthread who said you save money on those times you pop to the shops for a loaf and come out £20 lighter.

MoreBeta Tue 15-Jan-13 17:58:39

A breadmaker is a good way to get confident about bread making if you are a beginner but now I use mine only as a convenient way to mix and rise dough. I do the last knead and cook in proper loaf tins in an oven as it comes out better than cooking it in the breadmaker.

MoreBeta Tue 15-Jan-13 18:01:54

I use the yellow Allinsons yeast but you must mix with a bit of warm water for 5 mins beforehand to activate it before putting into the mix in the machine.

Yeasts for breadmakers are made so you can just bung it straight in the machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now