My chicken has a bag of bits with it...

(19 Posts)
ImpYCelyn Wed 09-Jan-13 12:12:38

It's the first time I've had one. I don't fancy eating them, but don't want to just bin them.

Are you meant to use them for stock?

rubyrubyruby Wed 09-Jan-13 12:14:33

Yes you can use them for stock
I always bin mine

Giblets, even my dog turned his nose up at the ones from the turkey.

My old cat used to love them

I don't make stock as I am a bit of a cooking failure but you can google stock from giblets and I'm sure you'll get loads of recipes

ImpYCelyn Wed 09-Jan-13 12:20:48

Hmm, if no one else does it then it may be the bin for them here too... I was hoping you'd tell me it's normal, everyone does it, and the stock is the best ever.

P'raps not grin

everyone else does it and it's the best stock ever I expect

moonbells Wed 09-Jan-13 12:29:08

I always ask for extra giblets from the local shop because so many people don't want them so I get them for free.

Stick them in a lidded pan with a roughly chopped onion and carrot, half a dozen or so whole peppercorns and a bay leaf, and cover with water. Stick on to cook, and simmer on lowest setting for as many hours as you like (I try and go for 3-4), checking water levels occasionally. You want it to reduce to about a pint. Bin the bits as they'll have lost most of their flavour into the water.

Strain and put liquid in a jug to cool down, and then put in the freezer in a ziploc or similar (though do check the seal!). When we want some soup or a stew, it's easily melted. Could also do in icecube trays for if you just need a flavour zing in something like rice or pasta.

Poledra Wed 09-Jan-13 12:29:23

I use giblets for stock then use the stock to make chicken chowder with the left-over chicken.

DeafLeopard Wed 09-Jan-13 12:32:30

What catkitten said

ImpYCelyn Wed 09-Jan-13 12:33:34

grin YouveCat

Thank you moonbells, I think I'll be brave and try it. Should I wait for the carcass and add that too? (Chicken is roasting now)

Poledra - I've never made chowder, so could try two new things shock smile

Very, very disappointed this year as my turkey was giblet free shock

Well, the dog was very disapointed to be fair.

I spent ages with my hand up its arse (the turkey's not the dog's) just in case they were lurking somewhere.

Poledra Wed 09-Jan-13 12:41:21

G'wan, Imp, it's very tasty

ImpYCelyn Wed 09-Jan-13 13:04:48

That does look good! I'll give it a try, thanks!

somebloke123 Wed 09-Jan-13 13:34:49

I think you're supposed to remove the liver before using the giblets for stock , as it can disintegrate and make it too cloudy. But you can cook (e.g. fry) the liver separately anyway.

FredFredGeorge Wed 09-Jan-13 20:34:08

I've never known anyone who's made stock of them, thought they always just got fed to the cat.

Poledra Wed 09-Jan-13 21:38:42

See, that's the thing, I have no dog or cat to eat 'em, and even the Human Dustbin DH would turn his nose up at giblets. So, as I hate throwing stuff away, I have to make stock with them grin

Moonbells DH was highly amused the day I returned frm the butchers with a groaning shopping bag. 'What've you bought??' he says. Well, I say, I've bought 6 chicken thighs and some mince, but I've got a bag of chicken bones for stock, a bone for veggie friend's dog* and and a big lump of suet and those were free.

* Veggie friend approves of dog eating bones, as it is a carnivore, but cannot handle meat so I am the dog's dealer...

moonbells Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:36

laugh at Poledra's groaning bag!

I always shove everything in, liver and all. Yes it may mean you have to sieve it through a fine sieve if you don't like the bits, but we don't mind. Extra protein!

I do stock from carcasses separately, as it tastes different and can be better for eg gravy. Also carcass stock, once you've boiled it to death, sets once cold thanks to the gelatine from the bones and cartilage. Giblet stock stays liquid.

Good luck Impy and here's to some great soups or stews!

ImpYCelyn Thu 10-Jan-13 16:33:46

That's really useful info moonbells, thanks!

I ruined my carcass stock yesterday. I needed to reduce it and forgot about it, I was left with a burnt sticky mass sad

Oh well, better luck next time!

Thanks again everyone smile

moonbells Thu 10-Jan-13 22:09:16

<sends impy a virtual eggtimer>

ImpYCelyn Fri 11-Jan-13 18:22:26

Thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now