NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

How much is meat meant to cost?

(15 Posts)
Apollonia6 Mon 07-Jan-13 21:35:16

You can't really call it a recipe to be honest, it's too simple for that smile.

Pork shoulder, trim off all visible fat, put in SC with a little water (maybe half a mug full) and cook all day. Depending on size of joint I might start it off on high and then turn to med or low during the afternoon.
About an hour before serving take the joint out and then pour away any liquid from the SC. Using a couple of forks or serving spoons 'shred' the pork into pieces and put back in the SC together with a bottle of BBQ sauce (we like the HP 'honey woodsmoke' flavour as it doesn't have any chilli in it). Mix the sauce into the pork and cook for a further hour on med/low.

It's nice with coleslaw and baked spuds.
Can also do it without the BBQ sauce and then serve it with apple sauce and stuffing in some nice floury baps.

redandwhitesprinkles Mon 07-Jan-13 21:04:48

Appalonia do you have a recipe for the pulled pork?

Apollonia6 Mon 07-Jan-13 20:45:16

I use pork shoulder for BBQ pulled pork, in the SC, and it freezes fine.

StickEmUp Mon 07-Jan-13 20:37:32

Ah that pic on Tesco looks like what same up on Asda when i put brisket in but didnt have the word.
That makes sense now thanks cogito

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 07-Jan-13 20:30:21

It's usually just called 'brisket'. Tesco Brisket 'Slow Roast' is probably the same thing but it's not an actual cut, just a marketing name.

StickEmUp Mon 07-Jan-13 19:28:39

Thanks for links!
I found the pork for £2.50 and ought £3 worth to slow cook weds smile
I did a shop at work and added to it (online)

Cookies links come up everywhere now.

Try these threads

link

link 2

I bought a 2kg pork leg joint for £6 and cooked it in the slow cooker. It made three meals. Though there was easily enough for 4-5 meals. My DP refuses to eat veg so we cant bulk meals out as much.

StickEmUp Mon 07-Jan-13 19:20:27

for bunbaker. This is interesting.
Pork loin, eg. reared and packed UK.
smartprice prok mince: Packed UK! doesn't say where it was reared!!

StickEmUp Mon 07-Jan-13 19:09:57

godess bums i got a message saying something about cookies when ive ben on asda for ages fine confused

StickEmUp Mon 07-Jan-13 19:08:32

bunbaker okay didn't know that gpod tip

StickEmUp Mon 07-Jan-13 19:07:48

Wow thanks for the detailed reply!
I did a search on asda for brisket and got this.
(Ive only ever heard thaword on here and american tv shows)
groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=Brisket&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=471495

Is this what you meant?
And can i freeze the leftovers?
I recently did a post about freezing, i thought things only lasted a couple weeks.
Am really hoping to make nice meals with my slow cooker and save a few pennies on waste, as i really do eat half things and check em.
Ya, shame on me.

link

Thats the same thing, but is £2 per kilo cheaper. Pork shoulder is only £2.50 per kilo and perfect for the slow cooker.

If you type "pork" or "beef" or whatever meat into the search bar on asda you can see all the different types and compare price per kilo on them all. Its a great way to find the cheapest!

Bunbaker Mon 07-Jan-13 19:04:39

Bear in mind that we have much higher welfare standards for farm animals in the UK, especially pigs. I would never buy pork that wasn't from pigs that were reared in the UK for that reason. This is reflected in the price. If it is very cheap then it will have been imported from a country that doesn't look after their animals very well.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 07-Jan-13 18:58:42

If you've got a slow-cooker look for the cuts that are ideal for casseroles, pot-roasts & braised dishes. They tend to be the cheapest and most flavoursome.

Beef skirt or shin beef are delicious. Brisket makes a terrific pot-roast and isn't expensive at all. Shoulder of pork and shoulder of lamb both work great in casseroles or pot-roasts and they tend to be at the cheaper end. Chicken thighs tend to be better in slow-cook dishes than chicken breast and same applies.

What to look for.... good colour (not pale or dull) & plenty of 'marbling' or thin streaks of fat running through the meat which make it juicy. If you can get 'matured' or 'grass fed' that's going to be more expensive but taste good. You can go organic which is more expensive again. All depends on your budget.

StickEmUp Mon 07-Jan-13 18:46:50

groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?skuId=1850836&departmentid=1214921923769&aisleid=1215122847956&startValue=''

I like this example. I have no idea if thats a good but or a lot of money per kg.
Say i wanted to go for middling price stuff, what do i look out for?

Im so uses to just cooking chicken breast, recently bought a slow cooker but dont want to bankrupt myself!

Advice please lovely ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now