Treats from my childhood.

(55 Posts)
GlobalDisaster Mon 07-Jan-13 11:32:31

When I was a child, my Mom would often take to to the local department store for a special treat in the 50's style cafe.
The treat? Coke float in a sundae glass ,complete with doilly and long spoon; and sometimes an iced bun spread thickly with butter. Delish! Knocks spots off cupkcakes and bottled juice which seem to be today's standard fayre.

evaporated milk, usually on tinned peaches or tinned mandarin segments.

Fizz bombs - used to make your tongue a vivid colour

Vesta meals (we thought we were sophisticated eating paella)!

Frozen french bread pizza's (exotic)

grin

Tuppence2 Wed 09-Jan-13 19:31:33

Treats from my gran:
A scoop of ice cream in my glass of lemonade
Raspberries with squirty cream zapped in the middle of it
Rhubarb sticks dipped in sugar

Treats from my mum:
Pancakes smothered in lemon curd
Iceberg sundaes from Mark Toney (vanilla ice ream with mint and chocolate sauces, 1 of those spiral wafers with chocolate in the middle and an after eight in the top!)
Angel Delight

GlobalDisaster Wed 09-Jan-13 20:16:21

Vesta mealls. They were vile ,but dad used to buy them from the cash and carry. You were lucky if you got two prawns in the paella.
Fizz boms, yes I remeber them well.
I love tinned mandarins ,with evap. I'm going to get some and make a trifle( with ahmed jelly, I'm veggie
didn'thvae french bread pizza, used to like those ham and cheese escalopes, now what were they called?

Zapotek Wed 09-Jan-13 22:40:32

/www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1651312-Lax-parenting-from-the-sixties-and-seventies

To those of you who look back with nostalgia at sitting outside pubs in the 70s, you'll probably enjoy some of this thread.

Zapotek Wed 09-Jan-13 22:40:54

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now