NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Monthly menu planning - please inspire me with quick, easy, nutritious meals

(17 Posts)
Grockle Fri 04-Jan-13 23:59:25

I used to be really good at this but I'm struggling. I don't really like food atm but need to start cooking properly again. What are your favourite school night meals? I'm veggie but am happy to adapt meaty recipes.

I have stuff like spag bol, lasagne, cottage pie, pizza, toasties, homemade soup & bread, risotto

tigerdriverII Sat 05-Jan-13 01:11:50

Don't like to see threads unanswered. Sty fry. Cottage pie. Veg chilli. Spuds and beans Spuds and anything. Carbonara. Puttanesca

Reaa Sat 05-Jan-13 01:20:54

Curry, pasta dishes, pancakes.......

Grockle Sat 05-Jan-13 18:51:41

Pancakes, good idea! I don't know why we only eat them on pancake day. Baked spuds are a staple - how did I forget them?! Thanks smile

I'm also veggie.

Veggie curries, especially those with paneer
Veggie chilli
Veggie sausage casserole
Tarts made with bought puff pastry
Stir fry
Pasta arabiatta
Veggie toad in the hole
Egg and wedges
Spanish omelette
Veggie shepherd's pie

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 05-Jan-13 18:57:01

I was going to say dirty rice (which is cheap fab and quick) but don't know how you'd adapt liver to a veggie recipe.

Grockle Sat 05-Jan-13 19:54:21

thanks. Lovely ideas. What is dirty rice?

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 05-Jan-13 20:01:47

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tanya-holland/dirty-rice-recipe/index.html

is a recipe, I kind of do it like that but leave stuff out and add stuff in grin and don't do it like that.

I do it like this

start rice (1 cup to 2 cups of water)
chicken livers in microwave on defrost
slow cook onions and garlic for a while add peppers tomatoes spring onions anything in the fridge you feel like
add chicken stock cube pimento (all spice) cayanne and thyme OR I do it like a chilli/fajhita seasoning with tumeric cumin and cayanne
add chicken livers and mash up in frying pan
add cooked rice and mix.

I guess you could do all that but add kidney beans or chickpeas?

Grockle Sat 05-Jan-13 20:14:25

grin

Thank you - sounds good. I'm sure it is veggieable.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 05-Jan-13 20:16:44

I like doing it because I can smugly say to my mum that dc eat liver grin

stressedHEmum Sat 05-Jan-13 22:52:42

Grockle, have you thought about very simple meals like -

pasta with chopped walnuts, parsley and a little bit of double cream
nutty potato cakes - just chopped nuts, parsley and some onion mixed into mash and made into patties (you can use ready made mash for ease.)
homity pie
pasta with chick peas, garlic, onions and olive oil
scrambled tofu on toast
pasta with mashed avocado mixed through served with fresh, diced tomatoes and onions
lentil dahl
lentils and rice

I make meals like this regularly because, like you, I can't stand for very long and I can't chop/grate/mix very much, either. And I just don't have the energy or concentration for cooking complicated meals any more.

Another thing to think about is using ready chopped veg for things like soup. That way, you just need to dump them in a pan with some lentils/split peas/barley and stock and ignore it all afternoon while it simmers happily away.

Grockle Sat 05-Jan-13 23:58:49

grin brandy

Thanks HEmum... I have just bought frozen chopped onion & often have frozen peppers, peas, corn etc in the freezer. I can't chop, peel, grate etc either so frozen veg is a massive help. Lots of good ideas on here, thank you. Maybe this year, my DS will be able to eat more exciting things than toast or cereal! I used to love cooking but since I've been ill, I really have no interest in food.

Reaa Sun 06-Jan-13 17:15:53

Don't forget pancakes can be sweet or savoury smile

ethelb Sun 06-Jan-13 21:16:28

Big salads eg tabbouleh with falafel or slaws with baked potatoes

sharond101 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:28:36

fajitas, mac cheese, ratatouille and cous cous, bean stew, puff pastry pizza

Grockle Tue 08-Jan-13 20:32:08

Yum, thank you for inspiring me.

We had kedgeree (not veggie, DS loved it) at the weekend and veg fajitas yesterday. Will make soup & bread over the weekend & create a good list of meal ideas.

Drladybird Wed 09-Jan-13 09:35:37

Lots of veggie inspiration here. A few suggestions to get started:
jambalaya basically a quick and easy rice, tomato and bean dish.
Moroccan carrot and chickpea stew
lentil bolagnese
These are a few of our family favourites that are quick and easy to make.
There are also lots of brilliant recipes on other veggie blogs. The vegetarian society has a good selection here which you might find helpful. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now