Cooking and Freezing ....

(8 Posts)
NervousReindeer Thu 03-Jan-13 18:20:30

Thanks FoFee ill be ordering that grin

FoFeeFiMum Thu 03-Jan-13 15:22:12

The book is arranged alphabetically by food/food type and details how best to prepare for freezing, freeze and then thaw and serve.

It also has a section on packaging types, a short list of unfreezable food and 'freezing principles' grin

Obviously freezing is mainly common sense but if you just want to know how to do things most successfully this is a great book. For instance flicking though just now I see that even dates can be frozen, and for up to 12 months - who'd have guessed!

NervousReindeer Thu 03-Jan-13 15:06:29

FoFee does that book have info on defrosting stuff too?

Virgil Thu 03-Jan-13 15:05:42

And remember there is very very little that wont freeze and so there is no excuse for wasting anything. In our house I freeze anything that doesn't get eaten since it can always be used for something. Bits of old cheese can be used on top of lasagne, bit of veg can be frozen until you have a bag big a enough for soup, dregs of wine can be poured into a cup and frozen, milk, butter, eggs.......

Virgil Thu 03-Jan-13 15:02:42

I have stuff in my freezers that stays in for six months and is fine. It does depend on what it is though, fresh meat seems to go off more quickly than pre prepared stuff. Deserts eg pies etc last for ages and ages.

StickEmUp Thu 03-Jan-13 14:56:01

3 Months!!! my gosh I thought iot would be 2 weeks!!!!

I told my mum today about my new mission to stop wasting so much food and save some money as well by really cutting down on spending.

We are both grin going to get a slow cooker and both grin go to the butcher for some meat, shoping it might be cheaper.

So also the potato is best off small as well.

Bloody hell I love mumsnet,

Thanks FoFeeFiMum

FoFeeFiMum Thu 03-Jan-13 14:47:51

I have this book www.amazon.co.uk/How-Freeze-Fresh-Food-Home/dp/0572035896/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357223923&sr=8-1

DH laughed at my pretensions of domestic freezer goddess-dom (I do have form in that area smile) but it is very useful.

For stews the advice is freeze for up to 3 months but with 2 caveats - avoid large pieces of potato as these can go watery when defrosted and remove any dumplings and freeze separately.

Also suggests you leave 2.5cm space at the top of whatever container you use and push the 'solids' down so they are covered by the liquid to help prevent freezer burn.

That is probably more detail than you wanted but hope it is helpful!

StickEmUp Thu 03-Jan-13 14:35:14

Can I ask a dumb question.
Tf you say made a stew on a sunday how long does it last in the freezer?
I want to bulk cook and freeze but if I say, made 7 batches would I need to eat it over 2 weeks, a month, etc.

This is for me and DH, we don't have children I mention this to give an idea of the amount we eat in my house, I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now