Can I make dumplings without suet....

(13 Posts)
ripsishere Thu 17-Jan-13 02:22:58

Guess what we'll be having at the weekend. Dumplings made with butter.

berri Wed 16-Jan-13 16:39:36

Thanks all smile

PolterGoose Wed 16-Jan-13 13:43:58

I've also made them with olive oil, but can't remember the quantities, tbh just SR flour and water will produce a dumpling, bit is better for smaller ones.

Portofino Wed 16-Jan-13 11:23:57

I make dumplings using Betty Crocker Bisquick mix with milk and butter. Kind of a cobbler rather than a true dumpling.

SamraLee Wed 16-Jan-13 11:22:31

If you are in the US you could also try using Crisco, which is vegetable shortening. It has a higher melting point then butter, similar to suet. It's not as tasty though, so you could use half lard/butter and half vegetable shortening. smile.

NettoHoHoHoSuperstar Wed 16-Jan-13 10:33:19

I've made dumplings with butter.
Half fat to flour and enough water to bind.
Freeze the butter then grate it into the flour.

ripsishere Wed 16-Jan-13 00:48:44

Another bump. DD said she fancied dumplings ac couple of weeks ago. Since she fancies very little in the way of food I went out on a suet quest.
Big fat fail.

berri Mon 14-Jan-13 21:22:29

Just a bump as I still can't find any suet over here!

berri Mon 07-Jan-13 16:58:28

Hi, just wondered how your dumplings turned out? We have moved to USA and can't find suet in the supermarkets over here - I really fancied some the other day!

whois Sun 06-Jan-13 00:10:49

Too late but you can defo make dumplings with butter. I found a Jamie recipe online last time I think.

nonsense0name Thu 03-Jan-13 14:29:37

ooooo looks good thanks!

I've found this one that uses flour and butter but i have not tried it yet.

nonsense0name Thu 03-Jan-13 14:01:11

So I can't be bothered to go back to the shops but have some left over chicken to make a stew and I fancy dumplings with it.

I have self raising flour, but no suet, only butter/veg oil. Can I make dumplings from these?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now