NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

I just made amazing rice in the microwave. What other easy brilliant cooking things can I do?

(45 Posts)

I am rubbish at making rice. I always burn it or it just doesn't turn out right. DH, however, is brilliant at it, so he always does it.

However, he's away tonight and I fancied rice. So I decided to look online and see if you can microwave it. Which you can. And it was gorgeous - fluffy and perfect. Here is the recipe (this serves 4):

250g basmati rice
600ml boiling water

1. Put Basmati rice in a large heatproof serving dish with boiling water (I put a chicken stock cube in the water as DH uses stock. He also uses turmeric but I didn't do that, I will next time).
2. Cover with cling film and pierce several times. Cook on high (900W) for 6 minutes, then medium (500W) for 8 minutes.
3. Leave for a few minutes to stand, then remove the cling film to serve.

It was really, really good.

So, what cooking tricks do you know?

garlicbaubles Thu 03-Jan-13 01:11:42

I was impressed, but am dairy free so it mainly made me sad ...

TwoFacedCows Thu 03-Jan-13 01:11:42

These are great. Can't wait to try some tomorrow!

Billybubbles Thu 03-Jan-13 01:15:44

Ok everyone I think you need to have a look at www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1634510-Whats-your-Top-Tip

happybubblebrain Thu 03-Jan-13 01:16:37

I've just discovered rice in the microwave too, I've been eating it a lot more lately.

Scrambled eggs are good in the microwave.
So is melting chocolate - I can't believe I used to waste time with bowls in boiling water. The microwave works much better.

headfairy Thu 03-Jan-13 12:04:33

everybodysang yes, I think you need to report it to get it moved in to food.

I can't wait to try the rice trick, ds has finally decided he likes rice and it means he doesn't have pasta every day!

I've reported it so we shall see what happens...

I'm also making soup at the moment, I always forget how easy it is till I do it. Anyone got any nice easy soup recipes they'd like to share?

I am definitely trying the bechamel asap too, and the meringues.

TheBoyandTheButton Thu 03-Jan-13 13:08:12

Merangues? Bloody fantastic grin

TwoFacedCows Thu 03-Jan-13 13:09:19

what is the meringue recipe?

IceTheChristmasKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:53:36

Hullo all,

We'll be moving this to food in a mo

juniperdewdrop Thu 03-Jan-13 18:48:30

Happy first thread in food everybodysang grin

fivecandles Thu 03-Jan-13 19:17:48

Omelette in microwave. Much better.

why thank you juniper I feel...moved.

I had forgotten you could do omelette in the microwave, I used to have a great little gadget thing I used to do it. How do you do it 'normally'?

garlicbaubles Fri 04-Jan-13 14:04:06

MICROWAVE OMELETS
3 eggs
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. butter
Choice of filling (cheese, onions, green peppers, olives, bacon, ham or whatever)
Salt and pepper
Whisk 3 eggs and 2 tablespoons water together. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 9-inch glass pie dish in the microwave for 45 seconds. Pour eggs in dish, cover (another 9-inch pie dish works great), then microwave 1 1/2 minutes. Then turn over by flipping into the other pie plate. Place filling of your choice on half of omelet; fold and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.

Lots of similar versions.

I scramble eggs: A dollop of oil, two dollops of water, 2 eggs, salt & pepper, mash in bowl with fork. Nuke 30 secs, mash again, nuke again.

If you whisk the eggs it forms a pleasing sort of eggy cake. If you whisk them properly and cover the bowl, it puffs right up smile

lolalotta Fri 04-Jan-13 18:11:52

If you want to make a crumble topping, MELT the butter and stir it into dry ingredients...works a treat and is faster and less messy than rubbing in the butter!!! grin

lolalotta Fri 04-Jan-13 18:13:42

I want to try the microwave rice but my microwave is only 750 watts????

garlicbaubles Fri 04-Jan-13 18:28:41

Ah, yes, lola, I make shortbread the melted way too. It's a tiny bit less good than the traditional method but a hell of a lot quicker and very easy to clean up!

Melt sugar into butter in pan over lowish heat. Add remaining dry ingredients, keep stirring. Mixture forms a convenient ball, comes away from sides of pan. Needs less baking as ingredients already part-cooked smile

Just nuke your rice a bit longer.

lola I just looked and my microwave is only 800W. So I'm sure it will be fine!

I love shortbread. I just ate a whole big packet we got for Christmas. Time to try making it this way...just to see if it works, you understand...

Huffpot Sat 05-Jan-13 14:01:28

Fantastic ideas!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Sat 05-Jan-13 14:09:46

That rice recipe is so usefl thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now