I've just made parsnip soup for the first time - wow! What's your favourite cheap and simple soup recipe?

(69 Posts)

I sometimes make tomato soup but this is the first time I've tried making proper soup and it's delicious! Made all the better by the fact that the bag of parsnips were reduced to 20p. grin

What's your best soup recipe?

lolalotta Tue 15-Jan-13 17:55:19

I meant to add that it's perfect with soup!!!

lolalotta Tue 15-Jan-13 17:53:42

If you like soup this Irish soda bread from BBC Good Food tastes AMAZING and is so simple and quick...it HAS to be eaten fresh out the oven though smothered in butter! grin
BTW, I HALVE this recipe and it still makes loads!!!!

SueFawley Tue 15-Jan-13 12:05:47

I don't do much cooking but that will change this year. I've set a goal to cook at least one meal a week. But I have made soups in the past, my favourite is celeriac garnished with some crispy bacon or pancetta. And a drop of double cream.
So easy to make and very rewarding.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 14-Jan-13 19:58:34

I made my red pepper and lentil soup this weekend...except when I got to the point of adding the lentils found I hadn't any. So used a can of chickpeas - half blended in, half whole. DD looked at it suspiciously then ate it for lunch, dinner and bagsied the remains the next day!

StupidFlanders Sun 13-Jan-13 09:40:18

I work with someone who made a celery soup (celery with a bit of potato and stock) and she added cooked tapioca at the end which was great!

BikeRunSki Brazil Sun 13-Jan-13 08:33:44

Beetroot - old Crank's recipe, with an apple added. Idea was from a flatmate years ago. Red wine is nice in it too!

Red lentil and tomato - add chillies, chilli powder, garlic, ginger, cumin, smoked paprika a you fancy.

Pea - bag of frozen peas, green oxo stock, potato or two, onion. Maybe bag of spinach. Brocolli stalk if I have one in.

Noodle - Marmite or Miso broth. Packet of noodles, chopped up carrot, onion, tinned sweetcorn/baby corn, frozen peas/mange tout.

MrsPennyapple Sun 13-Jan-13 08:08:27

Warships? Parsnips! Must have been on my phone when I did that...

FuriousRox Sat 12-Jan-13 05:41:38

Warships? An alternative to croutons with a bit of extra zing, perhaps? Yummy!

Don't think any one has mentioned Jerusalem artichoke soup, the smoothest, silkiest, most delicious soup of all. Usual recipe - sweat onion and garlic, add the artichokes and some spuds, add stock, simmer, season, add cream.

You have to wash and peel the artichokes and they are knobbly little buggers, but it's worth the effort. You'll all have gas afterwards too so it's a fun one to serve at a posh dinner party!

Fry an onion with a spoonful of red curry paste, add in butternut squash, cover with veg stock and simmer til soft. Add half a tin of coconut milk, blitz in blender. Divine!

GeordieCherry Sat 12-Jan-13 05:27:53

Chickpea, chorizo & spinach. Lush for cold weather

Warships? In soup?

Is this a decorative detail I have missed over last 32 years?

Marking place

SpangleMaker Thu 10-Jan-13 13:20:39

Last night I did squash - apple - chilli from HFW's Three Good Things.....

chop/peel/roast the squash, about halfway through add chunks of peeled/cored apples. Roughly half the weight of apples to squash. You should also add garlic but I didn't have any fresh so squeezed some puree in at the end. You can also add sage leaves but again I didn't (I do have a sage plant in the garden but couldn't be arsed to go outside). Blitz, adding stock to make required consistency. Serve drizzled with chilli oil.

He suggests making your own chilli oil with olive oil, chilli seeds, garlic and pinch of paprika - heat through for a few mins and leave to stand while squash is cooking. Mine didn't go the lovely red colour it should be but it tasted fine - lovely combination of sweet soup and heat from the chilli.

bruffin England Thu 10-Jan-13 08:43:29

Avolegmo soup

Left over chicken, carcass.
Boil up carcass for a stock,add a stock cube for a bit more flavour
Add rice and bits of chicken until rice is cooked. Thicken with egg, then add lemon juice.

MrsPennyapple Thu 10-Jan-13 08:41:45

Carrot, lentil and coriander is my favourite. I have some warships to use up though so might do that today.

melliebobs Thu 10-Jan-13 08:34:07

Left over roast chicken.

Fry off onion n carrots. Add some flour. Then stick. Left over potatoes. Boil till soft. Then add broccoli sweet corn n the chicken.

It's more of a broth than a soup but it's bloody good. Almost better than the roast itself grin

TempusFuckit Thu 10-Jan-13 08:31:19

Spicy peanut - onion, root veg (sweet potato especially good) to sweat, paprika, tinned tomatoes and stock to simmer and stir in peanut butter before blending.

I have the New Covent Garden book of soups, which that is adapted from, and it's one of my most used. Their spicy lentil is lush (onion, red lentils, tomatoes, ground coriander and cumin iirc).

JRsandCoffee Thu 10-Jan-13 06:01:21

Oh good, it's time to be awake again......

Celeriac....
Chop an onion and fry off, in butter works well in this one, peel and chop the celeriac small. Add to the onion along with a fine chopped clove of garlic fry for a minute or two on a medium to high heat then add half a glass of wine (from a full glass) and cook off for a minute or two, add whatever wine you haven't polished off while waiting along with stock. Cook the veg through and blend. Add cream to taste.

JRsandCoffee Thu 10-Jan-13 04:10:55

Get one of those winter veg packs they do in the supermarket (or a leek, turnip, onion, parsnip and a couple of carrots). Chop up everything. Fry off the onion, chuck everything else in along with about 600 ml of stock (more if you don't like thick soup) and simmer until veg soft. Add a biggish dash of curry powder to taste and blend. Comforting thick soup! I look out for those packs being reduced so I can make it even cheaper, my record is 40p including the cost of stock........ok, I'm a bit sad....... I think baby has finally nodded off so will be back with celeriac another time!!!!

choceyes Wed 09-Jan-13 14:23:21

I made a nice vegtable soup the other day and ate it all up in two lunchtimes. I put in the basics like onions and garlic and a bit of herbs, plus a can of tomato, half a savoy cabbage, 3 carrots and a big sweet potato. I roughly blended it (I don't like it blended to a puree) and ate it topped with a rasher of bacon!! Very yummy!

Next I'm going to make sweet potato soup with chilli and coconut. Had it in a cafe once and it was amazing. You have to add the chilli in with the onions to cook and then stir in some coconut milk or coconut cream in at the end....heavenly. I guess you could use a bit of red thai curry paste instead and then coconut, that would be nice too.

Nyx Wed 09-Jan-13 14:19:47

Just marking my place so I can try the parsnip soup out later grin

GrimmaTheNome Wed 09-Jan-13 14:08:52

My current favourite is roasted red pepper and lentil: cut and deseed a couple of red peppers and bung in oven to roast till blackened. Meanwhile gently fry onion, celery, carrot, garlic if you want. When nicely soft and sweetened up add tin toms; remove blackened skins from pepper, add one to the rest and blend that lot, chop the other pepper, return to pan and add red lentils and as much water as seems necessary and simmer till they're cooked.

I don't season it till its served as DD doesn't like pepper, DH can't have salt whereas I want both.

Good with cheese and/or crispy bacon bits. Or cut up sausage if you've got any leftover.

Didn't realise soup was so simple! Will have to give these a go.

plantsitter Wed 09-Jan-13 13:55:34

roasting tin

plantsitter Wed 09-Jan-13 13:55:10

Parsnip and squash - chop parsnip and peel and chop squash. Put in roasting time with as many garlic cloves as you can be bothered to peel. Toss in olive oil. Roast for 40 mins.

Put in pan with hot stock, whizz up, add salt, pepper, bit of apple juice and white wine vinegar (if you have).

You can toast some sunflower seeds to sprinkle on it & it's bloomin' gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now