I've just made parsnip soup for the first time - wow! What's your favourite cheap and simple soup recipe?

(69 Posts)

I sometimes make tomato soup but this is the first time I've tried making proper soup and it's delicious! Made all the better by the fact that the bag of parsnips were reduced to 20p. grin

What's your best soup recipe?

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 02-Jan-13 16:12:53

Butternut squash or pumpkin. Usually add some chilli flakes or yellow thai paste. Poss coconut milk and corriander or chickpeas, cumin and cinnamon. I love making soup, it's one of my favourite things to do. Any left over vegetables get made into soup

There are some great sounding soups here! I'm getting hungry...

DeathMetalMum Wed 02-Jan-13 17:09:17

Broccoli and Carrot, very simple -

Onion and oil in the bottom of thr pan,
Add the chopped carrots and broccoli I never measure usually do 2-3 carrots and whatever broccoli I have using the stalk adds lots of flavour (have even just used the stalk before) soften slightly
Cover with veg stock
Simmer until veg is cooked
Blend
Season usually just pepper.

NervousReindeer Wed 02-Jan-13 17:10:21

Some great recipes on here. Think we'll be having soup tomorrow

MothershipG Wed 02-Jan-13 19:04:44

Spiced carrot & lentil. Everyone loves it! smile

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 02-Jan-13 19:11:51

mrs - I get around that problem. we have soup & puddibg meals. So, soup & nice bread as the main followed by a comforting pudding like crumble or. treacle sponge. usually stops anyone moaning as we usually only have yoghurt or fruit for week night puddings.

JumpingJackSprat Wed 02-Jan-13 19:23:32

ive never made soup but now im inspired by you lot i never realised it was so easy!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 03-Jan-13 07:40:23

hugh fearnley whittingstall did a lovely one - very simple, fry courgettes and onions untui soft, add salt & pepper and milk & blitz. Surprisingly nice & fresh.

Chubfuddler Thu 03-Jan-13 07:42:20

Mmmmm soup. I feel a soup making session coming on.

DrRanj Thu 03-Jan-13 07:47:30

Roast frozen parsnips in the oven with some chopped onions until soft. Then whizz in the blender with some stock, seasoning, a few dried herbs and some cream. The easiest cream of parsnip soup in the world! grin

fuzzpig Thu 03-Jan-13 08:42:30

My line manager told me a really nice one - roughly chopped roast sweet potato, red onion and red pepper, on a tray with a drizzle of oil. Roast in oven. Blend. Yum!

Oh yey, I have a bag of parsnips to use up too!!! Plus ham stock, so here we go.... thanks for giving me the nudge to do it!

Jamie Oliver's chorizo & sweet potato soup is amazing.

salvadory Fri 04-Jan-13 21:03:10

I've just made a yummy roasted butternut squash soup, recipe here, just 1 butternut squash, 2 onions, 2 cloves garlic and some veggie stock and creme fraiche, although I think you could do without the creme fraiche. Also it said to use fresh chilli but I only had those jars of crushed chillies and they worked fine, just a little sprinkle.

mugglelady Tue 08-Jan-13 20:42:47

Made the parsnip soup tonight - very nice. Thanks Joyful smile

blibblibs Tue 08-Jan-13 20:48:18

Easiest soup in the world - chuck finely diced onion (I use frozen), grated carrot, red lentils and ham (has to be ham!) stock cubes in a pan of water.
Bring to the boil, simmer till you remember you have it on & hey presto - tasty soup grin

brighthair Tue 08-Jan-13 21:53:26

Cauliflower cheese soup - served with crispy bacon on top yum!

Pinot Wed 09-Jan-13 13:42:46

marking place

blue2 Wed 09-Jan-13 13:50:50

Celeriac soup is a good one for us:www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homestyleceleriacsou_87169

Tastes even better if you have a slug of cream to add at the end

plantsitter Wed 09-Jan-13 13:55:10

Parsnip and squash - chop parsnip and peel and chop squash. Put in roasting time with as many garlic cloves as you can be bothered to peel. Toss in olive oil. Roast for 40 mins.

Put in pan with hot stock, whizz up, add salt, pepper, bit of apple juice and white wine vinegar (if you have).

You can toast some sunflower seeds to sprinkle on it & it's bloomin' gorgeous.

plantsitter Wed 09-Jan-13 13:55:34

roasting tin

Didn't realise soup was so simple! Will have to give these a go.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 09-Jan-13 14:08:52

My current favourite is roasted red pepper and lentil: cut and deseed a couple of red peppers and bung in oven to roast till blackened. Meanwhile gently fry onion, celery, carrot, garlic if you want. When nicely soft and sweetened up add tin toms; remove blackened skins from pepper, add one to the rest and blend that lot, chop the other pepper, return to pan and add red lentils and as much water as seems necessary and simmer till they're cooked.

I don't season it till its served as DD doesn't like pepper, DH can't have salt whereas I want both.

Good with cheese and/or crispy bacon bits. Or cut up sausage if you've got any leftover.

Nyx Wed 09-Jan-13 14:19:47

Just marking my place so I can try the parsnip soup out later grin

choceyes Wed 09-Jan-13 14:23:21

I made a nice vegtable soup the other day and ate it all up in two lunchtimes. I put in the basics like onions and garlic and a bit of herbs, plus a can of tomato, half a savoy cabbage, 3 carrots and a big sweet potato. I roughly blended it (I don't like it blended to a puree) and ate it topped with a rasher of bacon!! Very yummy!

Next I'm going to make sweet potato soup with chilli and coconut. Had it in a cafe once and it was amazing. You have to add the chilli in with the onions to cook and then stir in some coconut milk or coconut cream in at the end....heavenly. I guess you could use a bit of red thai curry paste instead and then coconut, that would be nice too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now