NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Give me your best lamb curry/karahi/handi recipe PLEASE?

(6 Posts)
sherazade Wed 02-Jan-13 21:47:50

Rooobs, I have made the curry in the slow cooker and wasn't keen on the texture of the meat. In the pressure cooker, however, the texture of the meat is perfect.

Rooobs Wed 02-Jan-13 11:38:05

thank you medal. I guess I should just have a go then!

Medal Wed 02-Jan-13 11:22:15

I do what sherazade does, but also add a cinnamon stick, around 6 cardamom pods, a couple of teaspoons each of cumin and coriander, at the same time as the turmeric and chilli powder.

Slow cook on the hob for around an hour for chunks of lamb neck fillet. Add a teaspoon of garam masala before serving. Garnish with coriander if you want. Really really yummy.

Rooobs Wed 02-Jan-13 00:39:55

thank you sherazade. Does pressure cooking affect the texture of the meat, or just speed it along?

My slow cooker seems to demolish any texture of meat so just wondering what the opposite effect is!

sherazade Tue 01-Jan-13 21:44:10

My lamb curry:

Fry one finely chopped onion per every 500g of lamb in quite a bit of vegetable/sunflower oil till really gold. Add two heaped tablespoons of garlic/ginger paste(and one more for every subsequent 500 g of meat) and fry for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle salt, a teaspoon tumeric, how much red chilli powder you can handle (flat tspoon here). Add chopped chilli if you can handle. Fry till fragrant. Add half a can plum tomatoes and a dollop or two of plain yoghurt. Fry till soft and thick paste is formed. You can whizz it up with a hand blender for a really smooth sauce. Add the meat and brown it on high heat. Top with water- enough to partially cover the meat and cook on low till tender (i pressure cook for 25 min). stir in coriander and serve.

Rooobs Tue 01-Jan-13 21:06:16

I usually do Jamie Oliver's Pete's Lamb Curry, or Rick Stein's bradford Karahi, but I fancy a change.

Go ooooon, please? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now