Oh wow. I have just discovered French Toast.

(29 Posts)
fuzzpig Tue 01-Jan-13 09:08:26

DSD has been making it at home for a while (she was curious after seeing it mentioned so often in US shows) and has just made it for us for New Year's Day breakfast.

Yum! grin

We just had it with a bit of sugar, but I'd love some topping ideas please?

As an aside, can you get cinnamon sugar in England?

hermioneweasley Tue 01-Jan-13 16:25:32

Another vote for cooking smoked streaky bacon until it is cremated, and then cook the french toast in the bacon fat. Then serve with warm maple syrup.

Yum.

multipoodles Tue 01-Jan-13 17:00:48

When I was at school we used to make cheese dreams, we thought it was very sophisticated but likely just a lazy meal the teacher thought up! Make yourself cheese sandwiches, cut off crusts, dip in egg and fry. The cheese melts and it was particularly yummy with mature cheddar.

BikeRunSki Brazil Tue 01-Jan-13 17:06:53

Fuzzpig Yes, because 4 yo DS is a very reluctant eater, but really wants to be a fireman when he grows up. If nothing else, he'll eat his Fireman toast every week.

Teapot13 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:33:56

I'm American and I had never heard of having it savory!

We do ours with maple syrup -- and put a bit of black pepper on it while it's still in the pan. I think it's good with powdered sugar, too, if you can't get real maple syrup. Some people add the cinnamon to the batter, rather than using cinnamon sugar, but I wouldn't do this together with the black pepper.

Might have to make this this week. . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now