Freezing Sliced Meats for packed lunches

(29 Posts)
TeaOneSugar Mon 31-Dec-12 14:30:57

DD wants to swap to packed lunches in the new year.

I try to do one on-line food shop a week and then only pick up extras if we really need something, so I'm trying to think of things that will be healthy, but will also keep a week or that can be frozen.

The only sliced meats I can see on the Ocado site that say you can freeze them are from Bernard Matthews, which I'm sure are fine but not my usual choice.

Has anyone tried freezing pre packed sliced ham where it's not specified on the pack? What might happen.

Any more ideas for sandwich fillings would be good, DH and I don't take packed lunches so it needs to be economical for one.

PinkyCheesy Sun 06-Jan-13 19:55:34

Well I buy the meat sliced off the deli then lay the slices out on a silicon sheet, on as baking tray and put in freezer. it contains almost no water so it doesn't freeze 'hard'. When frozen, I put all the slices in a sandwich bag together and store in freezer. Just take out one slice at as time as needed. Silicon sheet washed and reused so no waste at all.

Autumnalis Mon 07-Jan-13 19:47:52

Thanks, Pinky, I'll give that a try.

Icy - you may be right. The secret is to find a place where the kids don't rummage or see me looking.

Fabfood Mon 07-Jan-13 22:58:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Autumnalis Thu 10-Jan-13 20:47:15

Gosh, I can't imagine why a post on a thread about frozen sandwiches was deleted.

I thought I'd update that I had the ham and salami ones today - they kept very well, not at all soggy. Good discovery. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now