NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What are the secrets of healthy, filling , homemade porridge?

(59 Posts)
OLittleTown Sun 30-Dec-12 20:36:42

I'm sick of OatsSoSimple - it just tastes like stodgy now and I'm starving and shakey 3 hours later. Any nice porridge recipes please which will keep me satisfied until lunchtime?

Thanks

CredulousThicko Thu 03-Jan-13 23:18:45

Isn't OatSoSimple a processed version of cereal anyway? they always make me feel shaky

I always use basic oats, I think the trick is to make it fully with milk, not water, and cook as long as possible - I find that this makes it naturally go sweet.

ohfunnyhoneyface Fri 04-Jan-13 08:54:07

At work I do mine in one of the hundreds sports direct mugs that we have, ping it in the microwave.

I'm going to get up and have my porridge now...only thing to get me out of bed!

ppeatfruit Fri 04-Jan-13 10:25:54

oh I forgot cinnamon and nutmeg are gorgeous on porridge!

Dava Fri 04-Jan-13 10:32:22

No, no no! Not oats! As a Scot, proper porridge is made with oatmeal. I have porridge every morning - it's the only thing that keeps me going till lunchtime. A couple of large spoonfuls of medium ground oatmeal, a couple of cups of water, a pinch of salt and cinnamon, bring it to the boil, then low simmer for 5 minutes. Dead simple - I get all the kids breakfasts together as it's simmering. I put a handful of raisins on it after it's in the bowl, and add milk. It's cholesterol busting as well.

ppeatfruit Fri 04-Jan-13 12:33:36

I find if I whisk my oats then they break down to become oat meal while cooking DavaSurely oatmeal is just ground oats isn't it?

HeavyBee Sat 05-Jan-13 15:30:38

We are a mostly non-dairy family and so we use unsweetened soya milk, which makes unexpectedly good porridge. Our microwave is 850 watts so I had to experiment until I could get porridge which doesn't explode all over the microwave, and tastes as good as it does if you make it in a pan on the stove (which takes too much stirring on manic mornings). For one person I use half a mug of ordinary porridge oats and one mug of soya milk, microwave on medium in a one litre Pyrex bowl for three minutes, give it a stir and a minute to stand and then cook for one more minute on high. The bowl has to be big enough that the porridge doesn't pour, volcano-like, over the sides as it cooks. I like it best with maple syrup and eat it almost every day in winter. It lasts me from 7.30 until lunchtime at about noon.

ppeatfruit Sat 05-Jan-13 17:09:38

I love soya milk too HeavyBee (to hijack the thread grin sorry) it makes the most frothy capuccino you can get! IMO it must be organic non GM though.

Tiny12 Sat 05-Jan-13 23:06:57

I weigh out 30 grams of porridge oats, pour over 185 ml of milk and microwave for 2 mins (850 micro) . I then stir in a small amount of sweetener and its perfect.

SkeletonButterfly Wed 16-Jan-13 09:46:45

I have just made some porridge with a Graze millionaires shortbread punnet dumped in it smile

Porridge is awesome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now