To brown or not to brown?

(6 Posts)
magimedi88 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:22:14

thanks BBBarry!

bigbadbarry Tue 01-Jan-13 20:06:31

It was in his roast chicken and other stories. I think it still goes brown on cooking, just not a dark brown from frying. And it is mixed in with tomato and what have you, ot sure you'd really notice. I'm away from home at the moment but if I remember I will dig it out when I get home and check I didn't make it up!

magimedi88 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:28:45

BigBarry - am a great fan of SH - can you tell me where he said that, please? Most interested to know - does it mean you wouldn't brown pork & beef mince for lasagne? Wouldn't it all be a bit pale??

bigbadbarry Sun 30-Dec-12 15:16:39

It will be fine - I don't brown if I am in a hurry and have never noticed a difference. If y are cooking tagine or Thai curry then it is correct not to brown it first. Simon Hopkinson, radically, recommends not browning mince!

cassell Sun 30-Dec-12 15:14:51

Afaik the purpose of browning the meat is to seal the juices inside the meat so that the flavour/texture is better. Provided you cook the casserole for the recommended time then it'll be cooked but the meat may not be as moist/tasty as if you'd browned it first.

babooshkadoll Sun 30-Dec-12 15:11:45

Making Jamie Oliver's 'Jools favourite stew' tomorrow.
Just read the recipe and he recommends not browning the meat just bunging it all in with the veg.
I have never made a stew without browning the meat first
Anyone tried it ?
Just a bit worried the meat will still be raw with all the veg cooked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now