Stodge - enough already. Need some light/fresh ideas

(16 Posts)
CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 29-Dec-12 18:10:13

we have eaten our respective body weights in Christmas Cake/roast potatoes/pies. What can i add to my menu plan that's light and fresh tasting? not salads though, as the dds won't touch the stuff.

Alonglongway Sat 29-Dec-12 18:50:12

Ramen type soups? DD2 has been craving chicken ramen and I suspect it's for the same reason.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Dec-12 18:51:03

Stir fry?

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 29-Dec-12 19:17:35

YES! ramen is what we need.
anyone have a recipe? we don't really cook Asian food often, as the DDs and DH are proper northern meat and two veg types, but i think it's time to start.

Stir fries or Thai-style curry with rice?

NuclearStandoff Sat 29-Dec-12 22:10:06

I am making vegetarian sushi.

ILovePonyo Sat 29-Dec-12 22:11:44

We had pitta with falafel, hummus and salad tonight. I know falafel is a bit stodge but it makes a nice change (and I wanted to mark my place on this thread!)

ILovePonyo Sat 29-Dec-12 22:12:30

Oops sorry just seen the no salad comment hmm

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 29-Dec-12 22:14:08

falafel is a good one though
i suppose the DC can always pick the salad out of the pittas....

mamalovesmojitos Sat 29-Dec-12 22:16:44

beef and broccoli

ramen

Baked salmon steaks are a favourite here

I love ratatouille. With baked chicken breast or just a tin of tuna stirred in for extra protein.

ILovePonyo Sat 29-Dec-12 22:25:07

A little bit of chilli sauce with hummus is always nice too grin

Stir fry is a good idea. Nice and healthy, lots if veg.

Selks Sat 29-Dec-12 22:34:44

I had prawn and lime tacos tonight, they were bloody lush. Basically - lightly toast a couple of tortillas. Spoon on salsa, avocado chunks, sliced spring onion, a sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves, add prawns which have been flash fried with salt pepper and chilli sauce, top with a dollop of sour cream and squeeze a dash of fresh lime juice over.

Guaranteed to refresh and invigorate jaded taste buds! grin

DD2 won't eat salad leaves but will happily eat diced red pepper, cucumber, halved baby tomatoes and grated carrot in a falafel pitta, with some minty yoghurt. Messy but lovely!

Philly cheese, chilli sauce, loads of coriander with baked tortilla pieces for dipping.

I had a baked potato the other day with red onion, feta, coriander and chopped red chilli - it was fantastic! Comfort food but it tasted fresh and vibrant too.

Qaesadillas, with salsa for adults and with red pepper slices, mango slices, pineapple slices for non-salad eating dds?

Selks Sat 29-Dec-12 22:44:39

Forgot - also add a bit of ribbonned iceberg lettuce, and fold before scoffing.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 30-Dec-12 12:37:43

I've just made smoked mackerel pate with lots of cayenne and lemon - dd1 even ate some lettuce.
And I'm having a crack at this laksa for supper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now