NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Veggie Christmas starter for vegetarian who doesn't eat...

(55 Posts)

...well virtually anything really. Specifically -

mushrooms
blue cheese
chestnuts
soft cheese - brie, camembert etc

Can't have butternut squash or goats cheese as I'm doing a butternut squash, sweet potato and goats cheese pie.

The rest of us are all fairly unfussy omnivores, but one guest is allergic to peppers and anything pepper related so can't use any of these. The DC won't reliably eat any vegetable so I need a non vegetable component to distract them with so the rest of us can eat.

Really struggling for ideas. Please help!

MsHighwater Wed 12-Dec-12 22:45:59

Melon?

suebfg Wed 12-Dec-12 22:46:53

How about a tasty soup?

MasterOfTheChristmasDisaster Wed 12-Dec-12 22:47:23

Cauliflower cheese?

Tomato and mozzarella bruschetta?

Are they a strict veggie, would they eat fish?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 12-Dec-12 22:49:36

Melon.

peeriebear Wed 12-Dec-12 22:51:53

Will they eat feta? Courgette and feta type pastries are very tasty.

fuckwittery Wed 12-Dec-12 22:52:17

poached egg on asparagus?
parsnip soup? with homemade croutons?
a posh salad, maybe with roasted veg, or homemade bread sticks, although bit difficult if no peppers, mushroom. maybe roasted courgette or aubergine? (nice to have a warm bit in a winter salad), with orange segments or pomegrante seeds?

am v impressed at a starter before full xmas dinner

have you got a different starter for the meat eaters, is this just for the veggie? if just for one person ask them to bring it with them?

Thanks all smile

I could do melon, but tbh I can't stand it, and seeing as I'm having to cook I don't really feel inclined to do something I don't like.

Very strict veggie so no chance of sneaking a fish in under the radar - not that I would of course!

Tomato and mozaralla brushetta is a possibility as is a soup, but I'm struggling a bit for soup ideas that are 'special' enough but don't involve blue cheese or bacon

I'm vaguely considering something egg based as everyone likes eggs, but can't think of suitable dish

fuckwittery Wed 12-Dec-12 22:57:32

souffle? cheese & spinach?
eggs benedict?
salad with poached egg on top? cld add some sneaky bacon bits for the non veggies!

ja9 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:58:33

Hard boiled egg halved with wheaten bread or ian rankins soda bread, little garnish and drizzle of thousand island dressing. Very ’80s but very tasty...

X-post with fuckwittery. Yes might do poached eggs and asaparagus, although poached eggs are not my forte!

There is only the one veggie, but it's my sister and she would be very offended at being asked to bring her starter with her. I'm pretty sure she'd be offended at having a different starter to everyon else as well. Plus i'm not sure I can really face doing two seperate starters when I'm already doing two mains and possibly also two puddings (she won't eat christmas cake, Christmas pudding or cream).

fuckwittery Wed 12-Dec-12 22:59:00

nice soups for xmas

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3198/spicy-roasted-parsnip-soup

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4042/jerusalem-artichoke-soup

i think soup is good idea before xmas dinner, as you'll stuff yourself in the main course?

I'm hungry

Bessie123 Wed 12-Dec-12 23:00:51

Roast parsnip soup with garlic and veggie Parmesan?

fuckwittery Wed 12-Dec-12 23:00:56

although, if you are serving jerusalem artichoke soup, with sprouts with the dinner, beware:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078323/Revealed-The-vegetable-leave-passing-wind-Christmas-sprouts.html

I like the sound of that ja9. I'm finding it difficult to think of anything because really I want either pate, parma ham or figs stuffed with blue cheese (and wrapped in parma ham)

spicy parsnip soup - very seasonal

potato skins with sour cream/cheese - might go down well with kids too

second roasted veg salad - best with feta cheese though

tiny risotto

Oh God, I did a Jerusalem artichoke earlier this year. It was properly delicious, but the aftereffects were decidedly NOT!

a jerusalem artichoke dauphinoise. Not just an artichoke. That would be a bit mean"

I really fancy the parsnip soup but I was going to do parsnips and parmesan as one of the veg for the main and i'm worried it might all be a bit parsnippy

fuckwittery Wed 12-Dec-12 23:05:58

and, you can do the soup beforehand and just heat it up. Go on, make things easy!

or, can you not just do nibbles before dinner. cheese straws (nearly wrote cheese strings there), mozzarella & sun dried tomato on mini brushettas, maybe mini jacket potates (in a new potato) with butter & chives, with some smoked salmon for the others. put it all out beforehand, gives you some space whilst getting the dinner ready to serve?

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Wed 12-Dec-12 23:06:00

Do you really need to be fussing with a starter?

I don't eat eggs (and I'm veggie too - but I do eat cheese!!) but I would find a poached egg before a meal far too filling.

She would be ridiculous to have a different starter to everyone else - very childish.

How about pate - you could do the same for everyone or something 'normal' for the meat eaters and buy a specialty one for her (most of the supermarkets do them, esp at Christmas, it'll be a bit harder to find a non mushroom one though). Lots of recipes is you fancy making one to suit everyone.

She sounds like a PITA and that's nothing to do with being vegetarian!

fuckwittery Wed 12-Dec-12 23:09:38

Ha. I've accidentally chosen jerusalem artichoke starter thing for my work xmas dinner, with party to follow. I forgot about the after effects and am very prone to wind/easily disturbed stomach. I will be known as that farty veggie one from the 4th floor come Monday.

I think a double parsnip helping is OK at Xmas. Spicy parsnips quite different taste to parmasanny parsnips?

oooooh figs. can you all have figs in parma ham and just give your sister non-wrapped figs grin

She is a bit of a PITA tbh. She's very easily offended by imaginary slights, which is rather tiresome and insists on communicating through our mum who is also a bit of a stirrer

I may go with the cheese strings and sod it grin

fuckwittery Wed 12-Dec-12 23:12:22

grin you'll just have to hope other people do more outrageous things so your farting can go unnoticed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now