Do I need to wash chicken?!

(26 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 06-Dec-12 19:02:18

I am vegetarian and have been since I was 14, so am not that experienced when it comes to preparing meat (although DS and DH both eat it, so I have cooked it quite a bit over the past 2 years).

Anyway, I bought a lovely new cookery book (I think it's an American one) and all of the chicken recipes start with the instruction: "Rinse the chicken and pat it dry".

I cook chicken quite a bit for DS (now 2.10) and have never once rinsed it. Should I have been? He has not been poorly. But I hate the thought that I have been doing it wrong all this time and risking making him ill!

So - do you rinse??

I'm American, and it's vey common to wash poultry here, but I never do. All my friends do and it freaks me out.

Years ago at thanksgiving my mom washed the turkey, then washed down all the surfaces with Lysol. Somehow, we still all ended up with salmonella poisoning. It was awful! We never, ever wash chicken or turkey now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now