Main meal of the day at lunch time. Does anyone else do this?

(24 Posts)
twinklesparkles Sun 02-Dec-12 13:30:51

We do this smile we like to eat as a family but ds is in bed by 6 most evenings. So even our "evening" dinner would be 430-5ish. Which is still earlier than most and means I have to rush to get ds ready for bed. So I just find it easier to have our main meal at lunchtime
So we normally eat 1-2ish on weekends.
Weekdays ds has school dinner then a smaller "lunch" type meal when he gets home. Then dh and I eat after he's gone to bed.

cafebistro Sun 02-Dec-12 11:16:22

Thanks for all the replies. It suits us but was just curious really as to what other people did. smile

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sun 02-Dec-12 05:09:58

DH and I just decided we're both going to start doing this during the week as we both have access to main meals at lunchtime at work, and would rather have a larger meal then, and then just have something light in the evening.

campocaro Sat 01-Dec-12 20:18:20

chocolate and nuts

campocaro Sat 01-Dec-12 20:17:39

Another one in Spain-I like eating 'properly' at lunchtime-we mainly work from home so this is possible. We have something light --chocolate and nuts--in the evening. DD usually has toast or baked beans or omelet or something early evening but we like only having to plan one main meal a day. Like the Spanish we have tapas late if eating out or with friends, particularly in the summer.

digerd Sat 01-Dec-12 20:17:33

I've always had a main meal at lunchtime - 3 course- and another 2 course at 7pm, but don't normally eat breakfast and no snacks inbetween. Always loved being ravanous and stuffing myself full .

Fenouille Sat 01-Dec-12 20:07:06

Most people in France do this too. I found it really odd to start with but now I'm used to it it feels much more normal than the other way round.

DeathMetalMum Sat 01-Dec-12 19:40:38

We do as dp works evenings so he needs to eat a big meal in the daytime, it makes sense too cook a big meal and eat together (im sahm). We also have a normal cooked meal in the evening though. Admittedly it can be more snacky soup something on toast etc, but just as easy a stew pasta or whatever. Makes it easier to get extra vegtables into dd also.

calypso2008 Sat 01-Dec-12 19:06:35

YY bunbakerdepends on lifestyle. If you can't, you can't and most people can't (except at weekends)

However, I think it is a better way to eat and seeing as my DD gets a 3 hour lunchbreak hmm and we live on the continent - that is the way it is. I used to grab a sandwich in London and eat in the evening. I am alot thinner now though smile although I drink wine at lunch so that can't be good! hmm

cynnerthenaughtyreindeer Sat 01-Dec-12 19:04:53

I was brought up by my Scottish mum the same way. Main meal in early afternoon, then tea at night.

Bunbaker Sat 01-Dec-12 19:01:50

"Remember, the best way to eat: breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper."

I can't do that. I have IBS and my digestion can't cope with big meals early in the day.

We have our main meal on Sundays and Christmas day. The rest of the time it is in the evening as it fits in better with our lifestyle. DD tends to eat sandwiches at lunchtime at school and OH and I have snack lunches, so I cook in the evening.

marriedinwhite Sat 01-Dec-12 18:50:26

Well I'm from farming/landowing, fairly u/c stock and the main meal was ALWAYS at lunchtime because the men/even the farmer had been up since 5ish and needed something substantial.

It was only when people were being entertained that the main/special meal was served in the evening - and even then those that had been working got full and decent grub at lunch time.

I would still rather have my main meal at lunchtime and soup and a sandwich in the evening but life just isn't like that any more.

Wasn't there once a saying "breakfast like a King, lunch like a merchant, dine like a pauper? Someone will be along soon to correct that.

bissydissy Sat 01-Dec-12 18:40:16

We don't but my family did as a child. I think who ever said there is a degree of snobbery is right. We called mid day meal 'dinner' and evening meal 'tea' which again I think is quite old fashioned/working class. So nothing wrong and might be favourable but has fallen out of fashion.

calypso2008 Sat 01-Dec-12 18:39:15

And OP, I don't think it is a 'back to front' mealtime! I think it is the other way round.

Remember, the best way to eat: breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper. (Or something) smile

calypso2008 Sat 01-Dec-12 18:36:21

Here in Spain the whole of the country is eating their main meal at 2pm.

Always, salad, bread, starter then main course and fruit for pudding.
Then - for children: either cereal/sandwich/fruit/hot milk and biscuits for supper. Adults then tuck into dinner at 10pm hmm well, some do - at weekends!

So, yes, it is actually better for you and totally agree that children are hungrier, livlier and more keen to eat at lunchtime.

I think it is a great way to eat. grin

reastie Sat 01-Dec-12 18:30:41

I do this, I have a main meal (though not always hot) at lunch and soup for dinner every day. It makes so much sense as you need more energy to get through the afternoon than to sleep all night IYKWIM

ContinentalKat Germany Sat 01-Dec-12 17:56:03

The whole of Germany does this, every day.
We only changed because dh is a fussy Brit and the children have cold lunch in school. I would happily eat a warm meal at lunchtime every day.

CMOTDibbler Sat 01-Dec-12 17:54:22

Thats normally what we do - ds has a cooked meal at school, and I find that if I have a 'proper' lunch I can control my calories much better - at the weekends we normally have lunch out, so a sandwich at tea is perfect

lolalotta Sat 01-Dec-12 17:50:37

I do this quite regularly for my DD, who's nearly 3. She is less tired/ less picky and eats better at lunch time. Win win I think! grin

PoppyWearer Sat 01-Dec-12 13:06:55

Yes, I do this most of the time, I hardly eat anything later in the day.

It isn't the way I was brought up, but access to a work canteen whilst I was on a diet years ago taught me this is what works best for my metabolism.

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 01-Dec-12 12:57:09

we sometimes do that at the weekend too - or have no lunch, a big meal mid afternoon and then a snack later if required. Cant do it during the week due to school/dh working

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sat 01-Dec-12 11:24:04

I think actually people are a bit snobby about this- because eating a main meal at lunchtime was historically a working class thing, whereas if you're posh you had lunch and then your main meal in the evening.

I am thinking of doing what you're doing for exactly the reasons you mention.

TotemPole Sat 01-Dec-12 11:13:44

We do it sometimes. What and when we eat is geared to fit round the rest of our lives.

A lot of people have a big roast on a Sunday lunchtime then a lighter meal at tea/dinner time. I don't see why Saturdays are any different.

And yum to sausage, mash and gravy.

cafebistro Sat 01-Dec-12 10:44:14

Today I'm giving my DC's sausage, mash, carrots and kale with gravy for lunch and then later a sandwich or something similar. I do this a couple of reasons - the DC's seem to be hungrier at lunch time so eat better/more and I get the cooking out of the way earlier in the day so I can do other things later.

I mentioned to my sister that I sometimes do this at the weekend and she has never done it and finds it a bit strange. Surely it's not just me who has back to front mealtimes? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now