shortcrust pastry tips please!

(13 Posts)
babbas Sun 02-Dec-12 22:25:47

No no no! Bero not veto!!

babbas Sun 02-Dec-12 22:25:26

I'm obsessed with the veto book! The teacher in the baking class I went to also used it as her go to book.

NUFC69 Sun 02-Dec-12 17:56:24

I always use the Bero cook book recipe - I have used it for about thirty five years - with pastry it is invariably half fat to flour, and then I divide the fat into half butter (or even Stork SB) and half lard/trex. The Bero cook book was a life saver for me (I still have my original book) and I would recommend it for non-fancy baking of any description.

twinklesparkles Sun 02-Dec-12 16:20:24

No problem

You can also freeze it but to get best results you can knead it again after defrosting then roll out

smile

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Sun 02-Dec-12 16:07:56

twinklesparkles - thanks, I wasn't sure if it would last overnight so that's useful to know smile

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Sun 02-Dec-12 16:06:02

Thanks to all for the tips- I ended up using mainly trex and some butter. It was really good and definitely better than ready made!

BrianButterfield Sun 02-Dec-12 14:07:01

I use about half butter and half whatever else is around - lard, baking spread, Bertolli-type stuff...I think as long as there's some butter in there it's fine.

twinklesparkles Sun 02-Dec-12 13:57:25

I don't use any eggs
I use plain old marg/spread or butter if I'm doing something special

Butter is a lot nicer smile

225g flour (I use self raising or plain)
125g butter or margerine
Pinch of salt
3-4 tbs of water (you may need more)

Rub all ingredients together until you have a breadcrumb like texture. Then add your water, knead and form into a ball smile

Refridgerate for at least 15mins, but will last until the next day in the fridge

PolterGoose Fri 30-Nov-12 17:33:14

I'd use all Trex for savoury pastry, with some herbs in too.

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Fri 30-Nov-12 14:08:12

I do eat eggs - I'm using it for quiche so need to do savoury. So 1 for butter and 1 for trex so far...!

YDdraigGoch Fri 30-Nov-12 13:58:54

I always use trex. Unless its a sweet pastry, then I use half marg. trex makes it nice and short.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Fri 30-Nov-12 13:40:09

Butter, do you eat eggs? I have a great recipe at home.

PlateSpinningAtAllTimes Fri 30-Nov-12 13:34:59

I'm usually lazy and buy readymade but want to try and make some for a change. What is better to use: butter, trex or a mixture (I'm veggie so can't use lard)?
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now