Horseradish sauce - work of the devil or the best thing (on) sliced bread?

(17 Posts)

mmmmmmmmm

<<pours it over reheated cottage pie>>

didn't used to be able to go near it, now I can't get enough of it

It's amazing, but be careful of the hot one, it somehow managed to cause a burning sensation all up my nasal cavity up to my forehead and made me sneeze for ages! I thought I was getting a nosebleed!!! The regular cream of horseradish stuff is lush though....

ChunkyPickle Fri 30-Nov-12 13:44:01

On cold roast beef sandwiches it just cannot be beaten.

Don't try homemade stuff unless you're brave, and don't give UK stuff to North Americans without warning them first (the stuff you generally buy there is a very pale imitation)

Lemonylemon Fri 30-Nov-12 13:48:19

I've just eaten a cold roast been sandwich with horseradish.... It was blardy lovely!

Got to be the hot stuff - but not the stuff that is just horseradish with no cream as it doesn't spread.

and have you ever had tewkesbury mustard? english mustard + horseradish = yum

NettoSpookerstar Fri 30-Nov-12 17:14:11

Love it, surprisingly nice on brie cheese sandwiches.

oooooh brie you say? Interesting

Mummyof3tobe Fri 30-Nov-12 19:44:21

Mix a dob with creme fraiche and serve with smoked trout, salmon or mackerel.

Delicious!

tb Sat 01-Dec-12 11:27:12

Wonderful with smoked salmon! BUT never in a million years the pale imitation ones containing sugar, modified starch etc.

The real stuff should make you feel that your sinuses have just been visited by Dyno-rod.

I used to hate it when I was little, but for the last 30 years have been known to order beef just for the horseradish.

It does tend to make you fart, though blush

Allalonenow Sat 01-Dec-12 11:36:01

Oh yes love it, with beef and pastrami and cold sausages and smoked fish.
I make a quick salad of a tub of Waldorf salad with flaked mackerel and extra mayo and spiked with horseradish.
I like wasabi chocolate too.

DeafLeopard Sat 01-Dec-12 11:38:04

Mashed in with carrots and swede make them taste lovely

Labootin Sat 01-Dec-12 11:42:47

Fantastic stuff .. Though i have been known to mix in english mustard as well which the purists would probably freak out at

Can't beat a proper nasal burn ...

Labootin Sat 01-Dec-12 11:43:37

Makes note of waldolf salad mix

UserNameAngst Sat 01-Dec-12 11:45:50

Love love it and agree with DeafLeopard, it really livens up veg. Tried Riverford's brussel sprouts with horseradish sauce recipe this week and it was awesome!

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 01-Dec-12 11:47:38

I can't find a decent hot one? So I have to spread it like butter. Bought one called 'inferno' but it was more 'damp spark'

NettoSpookerstar Sat 01-Dec-12 12:34:11

Have you a link to that recipe User, it sounds amazing.

Ilove it mixed in with mash, but have to add it after I've served the kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now