NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

First time "doing Christmas" - any tips?

(34 Posts)
DoingTheSwanThing Thu 29-Nov-12 15:04:43

I think this might be the point it which I become a proper grown-up.

Christmas dinner for 14... Yeah. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

So, can anyone share their years of accumulated wisdom?

How much prep can one get away with doing the night before?
Is pork an acceptable alternative? I'm frightened of whole turkeys so might go for a couple of turkey crowns (or whatever the friendly butcher tells me I need).
And the ultimate question; are sprouts really necessary? <shudder>

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 22:42:15

My tip is 'accept all offers of help' and be specific about what you'd like people to do smile Marshall your guests to be useful - mine are always set to work peeling things - motivate with drinks of choice, and the whole thing is a lot less difficult and a lot more fun

Oh yes, and I always make Jamie Oliver's turkey gravy well in advance smile

balroymum Thu 29-Nov-12 22:56:25

I do the mashed pots and mashed turnip days before, roll in cling film, then freeze. Make yorkies days before too (slightly paler when taken out of oven) , freeze, then just throw in hot oven for a few minutes whilst serving up. Cook turkey in morning then oven is just fir yummy roasties! Steam broccoli, baby carrots and sprouts in last 5 minutes. Job done! (I like to drink wine and watch telly on Xmas eve!) Last tip- enjoy it! It's lovely to have family in your house! Good luck!

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Nov-12 00:06:58

Yorkshire pudding with turkey?... hmm

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 30-Nov-12 00:38:49

Got to have yorkies with any roast! grin

Great tips here! Mine is purely write everything out, in time order, in detail! Did this two years in a row - no problems. Didn't last year being cocky disaster! So will be sticking to a list this year!

I serve turkey and ham. Ham is already cooked (thanks MIL and FIL smile), then I slice it, put in a disposable foil tray and pour gravy over it. Reheat it in a hot oven for 10-15 mins.

Anything disposable to cook in is a good way to cut down on the washing up! I've made the mistake of buying cheap foil trays though which almost collapse under the weight of the roasties! So maybe better off buying more expensive ones.

....and keep smiling drinking grin

nemno Fri 30-Nov-12 00:42:27

Good tip re disposable (do it just for Christmas myself as have environment guilt). Sit the cheap foil trays in your proper tins to give them rigidity.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 30-Nov-12 00:52:26

Yorkshire puddings should only be served with roast beef.
Indisputable fact.

dreamingofsun Fri 30-Nov-12 09:00:30

if its the same range cooker as mine the small warmer will be fine. turkey will take up most of the larger oven. if you have an ex chef as a relative suggest asking them to carve. veg doesn't seem to lose its taste - but if it does no-one ever notices.

NoSoggyBottoms Fri 30-Nov-12 10:40:18

nemno yes, I've only ever used disposable trays for Christmas! Also have used trays underneath for more support, glad you mentioned that.

haggisaggis Fri 30-Nov-12 10:49:13

Watch the turkey timings - if you get a decent one from butcher or wherever it may not take nearly as long to cook as you expect - I think our 6 kg one last year took under 2 hours! (I'd brined it though which also speeds it up)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now