"I believe in the occasional snacky lunch.." Roll <<your eyes>> up for a gloriously poncetastic blog...

(120 Posts)
snigger Wed 28-Nov-12 19:18:47

Snacky lunch? SNACKY LUNCH???

"For this one I packed soppressata, Castelvetrano olives, Red Leicester cheese, ricotta salata, and purple carrots. To go with, whole wheat bread, a British cheese cracker, and roasted pumpkin seeds" waffles Amanda, blithely unaware of even the hint of the existence of Dairylea in the self same universe as hers.

Caveat - the food is fab. Really good. Healthy, delicious, well-sourced, eye-wateringly expensive and beautifully photographed. In my dreams, Walker and Addie are standing at the foot of the kitchen island like a Shining throwback as Mummy's art director snaps their lunch and makes them late for Conversational Mandarin again.

It's lunch for 6 year old twins. Hide the Babybels and the grudging pb&j you threw together last Wednesday because this weeks new best friend has Nutella every day and allowances must be made (although at one point even Amanda grudgingly allows a morsel of 'commercial candy' on the grounds that someone had foisted it on her darlings at a party through the medium of a pinata)

Even goop isn't this pretentious - it feels like my tornado hell for epicures - I await the vomiting of clementines delightedly.....

Oh I missed that Funny. Leics family here too, eaten in massive slabs with Branston pickle throughout my childhood!

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 29-Nov-12 21:00:49

she is soooo thin and her DC look ghostly, a bit like The Others with Nicole Kidman innit

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 29-Nov-12 20:57:48

I was also lolling at Red Leicester. I used to live near Leicester and back then it and cheddar was all you could get. Now it's rocking up on poncey NY food blogs. My mum would be proud

Chubfuddler Thu 29-Nov-12 19:14:03

I got as far as her husband waking her for yoga while the slave babysitter arrives to watch the children and gave up. What a loon.

Apparently If you cook, your family will eat dinner together unless you just nip home to see your children for one hour a couple of nights a week. I wouldn't judge if it wasn't for the hypocrisy.

cheesesavory Thu 29-Nov-12 18:04:24

Iirc ramps are wild garlic.

NettoSpookerstar Thu 29-Nov-12 16:57:42

She's a bloody freekah.

Hey Mme, I'm OK, currently fighting the HA over moving and floors, but generally trotting along.
I've not done the X Factor threads this year, but still watching.

EverybodysSnowyEyed Thu 29-Nov-12 16:03:06

Or tHe bit about 'freekah' keeping you full for longer, maybe bigger portions would help with that!

ethelb Thu 29-Nov-12 15:58:10

This is the best bit: "I picked up a piece of tuna at the Greenmarket and poached it in oil with garlic, thyme and sage -- and then made a "refrigerator" rice salad with it, adding bits of things I had hanging around. Jasmine rice, capers, pickled ramps, kalamata olives, celery, Russian red kale, and lemon juice"

I don't want to google what a ramp is and why you would pickle it. Does anyone know?

ethelb Thu 29-Nov-12 15:53:29

I thought it was a Bath Oliver

One of these: www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Crackers/Fortts_Original_Bath_Oliver_Biscuits_200g.html

Do they sell them as posh food over there then?

MmeLindor Germany Thu 29-Nov-12 15:45:25

LOL Netto (how the hell are you, btw) I have been looking for you on the XF threads

snigger Thu 29-Nov-12 14:34:14

All those years ago when I watched Sex And The City and wondered why her friends never just kicked Carrie in the shins and ran away from her desperate self-obsession - those blogs and MadBusLady's post are pulling back the curtain for me....

drjohnsonscat Thu 29-Nov-12 14:33:13

Laughing out loud at this from strawhatpirate:

Meanwhile in Soho Amanda's husband is eating McDonalds of a hookers boobs

Those kids don't each much do they? <goes off to poke own fat children>

MadBusLady Thu 29-Nov-12 14:30:05

Oh I love the seriousness of NYC internet circle jerkery. London has people like this too of course but they mostly know they have to at least pretend to be a bit self-deprecating at times. Takes all the fun out of it.

greenhill Thu 29-Nov-12 14:24:05

I used to eat poncetastic lunches like that when I worked next to Selfridges Food Hall...when I used to spend a fortune on food that never filled me!

greenhill Thu 29-Nov-12 14:21:42

Those lunches don't contain enough food for my 2 yo DS.
For lunch he had half a pint of cream of parsnip soup (homemade) and a ham sandwich on seeded bread, yesterday morning he ate 4 bananas between breakfast and lunch. Those 6 yo's must be tiny.

can't sell

Honestly though, nothing a half good deli can sell.

Hardly groundbreaking. And btw my dc would starve on such tiny portions. Thank goodness it is just school dinners here, at least they have a hot meal.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 29-Nov-12 14:12:44

I am just imagining the scene in our house in the morning. It is NOT conducive to 30 mins of yoga and 'if the kids wake up they just crawl between our legs'. I am seriously lolling here.

TheLightPassenger Thu 29-Nov-12 14:07:53

to be fair Nicholas on that same blog group also favours the poncy approach to child nutrition - the world's smallest sweet potato salad and a burmese style hamburger biscuit

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 29-Nov-12 14:00:13

wow fab poncetastic blog. My just turned 7 yo would refuse each and everyone of those lunchs of the basis of vegetables alone

snigger Thu 29-Nov-12 13:57:17

chocolate shop, that should have read.

And Quint, I agree - those lunches are SPARSE, man, DD1 could have 90% of them flattened before the end of the drive.

snigger Thu 29-Nov-12 13:55:33

Ah NotGoodNotBad, she can't be skinny, she specifically points out that working down't road from a doubtless artisanal painted to look like a dairy micromorsel-at-----a-----time 100% cocoa solids kinda chocolate keeps her, and I quote directly

"well fed and plump".

See, I'm uncomfortable bashing a gal for being successful and living like a bloke, as we should all have the right to do, but lunchbox one-up-manship to this degree is deserving of well fed and plump elbow to the ribs.

SGB - if you post that in comments, I will send you all the valuable things of the shop.

SolidGoldYESBROKEMYSPACEBAR Thu 29-Nov-12 12:54:52

It makes me want to post up pics of a lunch box containing 20 B&H, a can of Stella and half a kebab and say 'Well this is what my kids get for lunch'

Songbird Thu 29-Nov-12 12:47:54

Oh God I love it! What the hell is a 'British cracker'? I've never seen a cracker like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now