"I believe in the occasional snacky lunch.." Roll <<your eyes>> up for a gloriously poncetastic blog...

(120 Posts)
snigger Wed 28-Nov-12 19:18:47

Snacky lunch? SNACKY LUNCH???

"For this one I packed soppressata, Castelvetrano olives, Red Leicester cheese, ricotta salata, and purple carrots. To go with, whole wheat bread, a British cheese cracker, and roasted pumpkin seeds" waffles Amanda, blithely unaware of even the hint of the existence of Dairylea in the self same universe as hers.

Caveat - the food is fab. Really good. Healthy, delicious, well-sourced, eye-wateringly expensive and beautifully photographed. In my dreams, Walker and Addie are standing at the foot of the kitchen island like a Shining throwback as Mummy's art director snaps their lunch and makes them late for Conversational Mandarin again.

It's lunch for 6 year old twins. Hide the Babybels and the grudging pb&j you threw together last Wednesday because this weeks new best friend has Nutella every day and allowances must be made (although at one point even Amanda grudgingly allows a morsel of 'commercial candy' on the grounds that someone had foisted it on her darlings at a party through the medium of a pinata)

Even goop isn't this pretentious - it feels like my tornado hell for epicures - I await the vomiting of clementines delightedly.....

Mintyy Wed 28-Nov-12 19:40:36

Roffle

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 28-Nov-12 19:41:51

I note she's from Brooklyn. So my guess is this: once high powered Manhattan Mommy now raising her twins creatively. I.e. jacked in her job, bored to tears whilst DH works on Wall Street and using ponce-tastic lunch blog to get her fix of "creative, I don't miss my work at all" needs met.

gringrin

mignonette Wed 28-Nov-12 19:41:55

Yes, they are Amanda Hesser's kids. They're not going to be eating Cheese sandwiches and Ki Ora every day are they? KUA definitely....

hazeyjane Wed 28-Nov-12 19:42:13

ds had a deconstructed marmite sandwich for lunch, with a petit filous artfully schmeared on top - I wish I had taken a photo now, it was a dish of great beauty.

Pooka Wed 28-Nov-12 19:42:24

Why do first graders not have access to forks yet? Some of the stuff would be tricky eaten with what looks to be a teaspoon....

racingheart Wed 28-Nov-12 19:42:35

Put me out of my misery and explain soppressata please. Anyone?

Nono! Cucumber is allowed! Because remember, Walker loves cucumber! <feels better about self>

mignonette Wed 28-Nov-12 19:43:14

She's still high powered Oscar - a major player in the food and journalism world.

BornToFolk Wed 28-Nov-12 19:44:08

I do think it looks really tasty but DS would need some carbs with that pepper stew thing or he'd be starving by tea time.

snigger Wed 28-Nov-12 19:44:19

I'd give her four seconds in the 8 till Late in town before she collapsed from actual life intolerance.

mignonette Wed 28-Nov-12 19:44:21

Soppressata is pretty common or garden Italian deli meat. Nothing special in Italy that's for sure....

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 28-Nov-12 19:45:32

http://food52.com/blog/category/163_cooking_for_clara gringringringrin

She "happened to have a conversation with Addie" shock I wish I could just 'happen' to have a convo with dd. Our conversations never seem to stop. hmm

hazeyjane Wed 28-Nov-12 19:45:59

Is it like a more glamorous, but doleful pepperami?

meditrina Wed 28-Nov-12 19:46:50

Well, I thought a soppressa was an Italian nappy.

ginhag Wed 28-Nov-12 19:47:36

Yes hazeyjane, my children deconstruct their own lunches too, and in fact often use our kitchen for site specific performance art. We obviously have Truly Gifted Offspring.

mignonette Wed 28-Nov-12 19:47:40

It is dry Italian Salami, cured or uncured. Too much of that everyday and you'll end up with stomach cancer....sad

It is Pepperami with good Brooklyn PR

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 28-Nov-12 19:48:00

Bugger, blows my theory out the water doesn't it? She still had waaaaay too much time on her hands though.

Tonight we had (waitrose) pie and handcut chips (i.e. i chopped potatoes up and fried them) with a side accompaniment of broccoli. Not
Broccoli for ever mind, just broccoli.

lmao "Red Leicester cheese"

those kids are going to be sooo spoilt

"Kids deserve to eat lots of watermelon when it's in season".....oh, is there a cutoff age?

fergoose Wed 28-Nov-12 19:51:07

I would love to take those kids to McDonald's.

ginhag Wed 28-Nov-12 19:51:25

And kitchens covered in food, toy cars and broken crayons.

I'm hoping if I study hard enough I will be smart enough to decode their amazingly postmodern take on the deceptively simple theme of 'food'.

hazeyjane Wed 28-Nov-12 19:52:24

ginhag, there is a photo on my profile of ds going through his Jackson Pollock phase, it was an angry time where he really expressed himself through food, challenging, but exciting times.

snigger Wed 28-Nov-12 19:55:31

Laughing with gusto at 'doleful pepperami'.

Fair enough, she presumably has a reputation to uphold, but she needs a wee shake.

Presumably she feels she's reaching out to the real people by 'sandwichifying' (yes, that's the word she uses) her "Chicken Cutlets Grilled in Charmoula with Quick-Cured Lemon Confit" by dint of slapping some on sliced bread with kale salad.

You had me at sandwichify.

ginhag Wed 28-Nov-12 19:56:19

Hazey I have a photo somewhere of ds2 covered from the waist up in chocolate sauce, eating a small plastic toy whilst pouring juice on the floor. Afraid it's not on my profile as he is planning to use it in his thesis ;)

God I need WINE. I have snot in my hair. And it's not mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now