NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Roast Chicken. But what veg???

(24 Posts)
Bearandcub Mon 26-Nov-12 10:55:20

Roasted Butternut Squash with pancetta
Cauliflower purée
Green beans
Roast parsnips
Spinach with pine nuts and raisins (empty washed spinach into pan with a bit of butter, throw in pine nuts and raisins, stir til all wilted, serve)
Honey glazed carrots
Beetroot (delicious roasted)
Roast potatoes and red onions

Obviously not all at the same time

CheungFun Mon 26-Nov-12 10:46:25

I usually do mashed swede, carrots, sprout, broccoli, and roast parsnips for Christmas dinner (with meat of some description too of course grin)

I like the ideas of mixing bacon bits with sprouts and honey roast parsnips...yum yum!

Cauliflower cheese would be nice too.

Maybe cabbage with pine nuts would work?

ohfunnyface Mon 26-Nov-12 10:39:42

Spinach with chopped onion or shallots

NaturallyGullible Mon 26-Nov-12 06:35:04

I just cook my spinach in a saucepan with a tablespoon of water. It basically steams in its own juice.

thereistheball Mon 26-Nov-12 06:20:34

Creamed leeks, which is just leeks in a white sauce. Much nicer than it sounds, perfect for roast chicken. And then, of you have leftover chicken, eat with sweet corn and ricotta pancakes (they are also great with crispy bacon).

Carrot puree can be yummy.

sharond101 Sun 25-Nov-12 22:59:37

I do courgette, leeks, new potatoes, red onions and sometimes red peppers and roast the chicken ontop of these in a roasting tin. When the chicken is cooked drain the juices from the tin and set the chicken aside whilst roasting the veg until they brown. It's delicious this way and potatoes are like roast potatoes too.

melliebobs Sun 25-Nov-12 19:34:56

How do u do spinach? I like spinach but only seem to throw the odd handful into curries or put in quesadilla s

NaturallyGullible Sun 25-Nov-12 17:33:20

I quite like spinach with roast chicken.

babbas Sun 25-Nov-12 17:29:55

Cabbage broccoli leeks and spring greens bake. It's a great way of getting kids to eat a heap of veg in one go. Sauté all the veg in butter salt and a garlic clove. When softened down add some cream ( I do 100mls single cream and the same creme fraiche), tip
Into dish top with cheese and bake until bubbling. It's Delish.

Ruffello Sun 25-Nov-12 17:22:11

Garlicky lemony green beans - boil green beans (preferably the thinnest variety), drain and finish off by gently frying in butter and olive oil, crush in 2 or 3 garlic cloves and a good squeeze of lemon.

melliebobs Sun 25-Nov-12 14:23:28

Having a go at honey roast carrot and parsnips this week smile

TotemPole Sun 25-Nov-12 12:28:37

For Christmas day.
Roast potatoes.
Potato, swede and carrot mash.
Roast parsnips with honey.
And a green veg, either cabbage, peas or broccoli.

You could do carrots in orange sauce and leave the carrots out of the mash.

ohfunnyface Sun 25-Nov-12 11:47:53

Red onion, aubegene, courgette, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower all roasted in light olive oil and loads of garlic, oregano, sage and other tasty spices and herbs.

picnicbasketcase Sun 25-Nov-12 10:38:56

Stir fried sprouts with bacon
Savoy cabbage

melliebobs Sun 25-Nov-12 10:38:47

Cauliflower cheese gip hate cheese sauce

Thanks for the ideas. Don't know why I didn't think of sweet potato mash. But I do have an issue with double carbs n think dh would cry if I did that n no roasties!!!! But leeks n bacon sound good too

MousyMouse Sun 25-Nov-12 10:38:08

roast carrots and parsnips go down well here.
cut the veg into batons mix well with oil until coated, then mix in a teaspoon or two of stock powder. roast in the oven for about an hour turning the veg a couple of times.

Sickandsad Sun 25-Nov-12 10:29:34

Roast butternut squash is perfect with chicken. Even better if you mix sweet potato and butternut squash pieces together and roast in a drizzle of yummy olive oil and a few herby whatnots.grin

jojane Sun 25-Nov-12 10:11:46

Carrot ad swede mash
Cauliflower cheese
Roast courgettes
Honey roast parsnips
Cabbage and spinach

TellMeLater Sun 25-Nov-12 10:04:48

Roast veg - lots of things work, root veg, onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, courgettes, aubergine choose your favourites add some thyme and some cooking oil - I use a light flavoured olive oil and roast till tender.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 24-Nov-12 23:43:20

roast parsnips

put them in a bag with a drizzle of oil and a pich of curry powder

give them a good shake and then tip them onto a baking tray and roast

beautiful smile

Snazzyfeelingfestive Sat 24-Nov-12 23:41:08

Leeks with bacon

Green beans with finely chopped onion

Parsnips

Cauliflower cheese

PoppadomPreach Sat 24-Nov-12 23:41:05

Roasted sweet potato or sweet potato mash (made with a bit of olive oil and butter) and long stem broccoli.

Great combination with roast chicken!

melliebobs Sat 24-Nov-12 23:38:40

Ok so I've perfected my roast chicken. Make the best roast chicken gravy (according to DH) but I'm getting bored of serving it with peas, sweet corn, carrots and broccoli.

I need inspiration. What other yummie veg could I do?! Or a different way of cooking it or generally making it more interesting ?

Also as I hate turkey chicken is our bird of choice for Xmas so any ideas what we could do veg wise for the big day too???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now