Anyone feel like linking/sharing their favourite aubergine recipes please?

(22 Posts)
Mintyy Sat 24-Nov-12 19:01:38

Got one in my veg box this week and I don't usually buy them because dh and the dc don't like. But I do! So feel like doing something with it and maybe having for lunch for a couple of days.

Any and all ideas gratefully received.

There are only 2 acceptable things to do with an aubergine imho:
one is to dip slices in batter and deep fry and the other is to make baba ganoush (sp?).

Lavenderhoney Sat 24-Nov-12 19:11:48

Ooh, I love auberinessmile

Do you slice and salt them pre cooking or just go for it?

You could slice them super thin and cover them in oil and roast them slowly in the over for posh crisps.
Or roast in oil then use in wraps with halloumi or mozrella,
If you are roasting lamb then stick them under the lamb with some sliced figs it will be fabsmile
Moussaka...? Then you can freeze it in little pots as well and microwave when you fancy it.

StellaNova Sat 24-Nov-12 19:16:09

DH hates aubergines but he likes them in this moussaka - it's an old Good Housekeeping recipe. The recipe says you should put salt on the aubergine slices and leave for 30 minutes first but it doesn't seem to make any difference if you don't.

Serves 4 to 6. Fry 2 sliced onions and one chopped garlic clove in oil for 5 mins, add 700g minced lamb and fry 10 mins, add tbsp flour. Add can chopped toms, simmer 20 mins. In separate pan fry aubergine slices in loadsa oil (recipe says 3tbsp) for 4-5 mins turning once. Arrange layer of aubergine slices in bootom of dish, layer of meat, layer aubergines etc. Beat together 284g natural yog, 2 eggs, some grated nutmeg and Parmesan, pour over dish, spinkle more Parmesan on top and bake at 180 degrees for about 45 mins.

LordEmsworth Sat 24-Nov-12 20:17:27

I lurve aubergines.

Baba ganoush is mmm, parmigiana di melanzane is one of my favourite comfort foods, but my current favourite is the roast aubergine with tahini in this link...

Nigel Slater's roast aubergines with tahini

TheMysteryCat Sat 24-Nov-12 20:21:10

Aubergine crisps with ginger and sea salt with chilli dipping sauce.

bigTillyMint Sat 24-Nov-12 20:56:48

Just made my favourite aubergine recipe today - it's a Levi Roots one.

You chop up a couple of onions and fry with a couple of chunked peppers. Then you fry a couple or three chunked up aubergines then transfer to a pot with ap can of tomatoes, a couple of ts ground cumin, a tsp of smoked paprika and a tsp of paprika, a tsp of brown sugar, salt and pepper and then stew gently for 20mins or so.

Delish!

babbas Sat 24-Nov-12 23:14:00

Curried Aubergine. Delish. Chop it up into chunks. Fry onion garlic in pan with olive oil. Add chilli powder and paprika and any other spice you have handy that you like to use. Cook spices for few mins. Add Aubergine and mix until water is out of it and has evaporated in pan. Turn heat down and simmer until cooked. I often overlook as the
Mushier they are the better. They absorb all the spices and oil and this is lovely served with pitta or flatbread.

babbas Sat 24-Nov-12 23:14:40

*overcook not overlook. Damn phone.

Mintyy Sat 24-Nov-12 23:59:49

Yum! Am inspired. Thanks all.

Drladybird Sun 25-Nov-12 19:40:34

I also got an aubergine in my veggie box recently (and was surprised because I thought that they were a summer vegetable!)...in our household, favourite recipes with aubergine include: aubergine and chickpea caponata or moussaka.

Ruffello Mon 26-Nov-12 20:10:06

This. Mmmm...

Alameda Mon 26-Nov-12 20:13:02

Annunziata's caponata is my new favourite! I will copy and paste if I can

Fuchzia Mon 26-Nov-12 20:18:14

3 Aubergines
olive oil
Large onion thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 x 500g cans creamed tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
handful of basil
200g ish mozzarella
100g Parmesan
Slice aubergines thinly mix slices with a generous slug of olive oil and seasoning in a large oven-proof dish and season well.  bake for 25 minutes until aubergines are browned.  Meanwhile make the sauce fry the onion and garlic until soft, add creamed tomatoes and puree and simmer for 15 minutes.  assemble in the oven proof dish by removing the aubergines and pouring a small amount of the tomato mixture over the bottom.  put a layer of aubergines on top of this and sprinkle over some of the parmesan and small pieces of mozzarella topping off with a layer of tomato sauce. Repeat 3 or 4 times until ingredients are used up, finishing off with a layer of sauce and grated parmesan on top.  bake in hot oven for 20-30 minutes until cooked through.

Alameda Mon 26-Nov-12 20:18:46

hope she doesn't mind . . .

"Alora, I am bad at measurements though. So I use one aubergine, one onion, six big tomatoes, green olives, 2 little garlics, the same amount of olive oil and balsamic, capers, half a tablespoon each of oregano and basil, and you can use green peppers or celery too. I put sugar and salt and pepper in mine but some people do it differently, so you need to experiment. I fry the aubergine first, add the onion and peppers, then sugar, tomatoes, vinegar, then everything else. Now my mum cooks it really slow with the lid on for hours, but I think you can do it much quicker with the lid off, it will take about an hour altogether, 20 mins for frying the aubergine, then you leave it to dry a bit, 10 mins, five for the onion and peppers, another 10 for everything else, throw in the basil and oregano last and you'll know when it's ready."

I used more garlic and omitted the onion, and tomorrow's batch has anchovies.

ceeveebee Mon 26-Nov-12 20:36:47

Ratatouille (if you have courgettes, peppers, tomatoes etc)

Pork and aubergine vietnamese hotpot is a fave of mine too, I often use roast pork leftovers and cook for less time

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4679/asian-aubergine-and-pork-hotpot

ceeveebee Mon 26-Nov-12 20:37:12
SilverSixpence Wed 28-Nov-12 13:29:35

We love aubergine smile some ways we cook it:
1. Sliced and fried with salt and turmeric until soft, eat with rice/curry
2. Aubergine and prawn curry, similar to above but add prawn after cooking onion then aubergine
3. Aubergine and halloumi burger - fried/grilled slices of aubergine, hummus, fried halloumi in a burger

maillotjaune Wed 28-Nov-12 13:49:00

There are so many good things to do with an aubergine. I usually cut them into chunks and roast with a tiny bit of oil for about 45 mins at 170C when I happen to have the oven on within the couple of days before I want to use it which gets rid of any excess moisture without having to use salt.

This is a recipe from Ottolenghi (my page pulled out of the Guardian Weekend magazine on Nov 8 2008 is now in tatters) which was actually for okra. DH hates okra - he says they are full of snot - so I tried it with aubergines and it is amazing.

Serves 4:
30g fresh red chillis
4g dried red chillis (it's quite hot, and if you might want to make with less and see what you think)
100g shallot (I never have these, so just use onion)
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp salt
Vegetable oil
Blend the above into a paste (recipe says 130ml oil, I just pour in about a tbsp)
Fry in a little oil for about 10 mins, stirring frequently, by which time it should be dark red.

Mix a generous tsp of tamarind paste with a little boiling water and 1 tbsp sugar.

Add into the pan, chuck in the aubergine (the above recipe says it's for 600g okra, I would use an aubergine per person), add a bit more water so that you can cook the aubergine in it until soft (time taken depends on whether it's going in raw or roasted).

Serve with some basmati - if you can be bothered it is ace with rice cooked by the absorption method with coconut milk in place of half the water plus thin slices of ginger and some kaffir lime leaves, but I rarely bother with that.

It is my favourite dinner. A friend who doesn't like very hot food makes it but with the coconut milk stirred into the aubergines and that is good (but not as good) too.

maillotjaune Wed 28-Nov-12 13:49:59

Sorry that's so long. Incidentally it takes 5 mins to make the paste which is the only really involved bit of the process.

SilverSixpence Wed 28-Nov-12 17:23:10

Just found the link for above recipe here

maillotjaune Wed 28-Nov-12 17:52:15

Thank you Silver didn't think to do that blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now