NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Yoghurts five a day or not

(35 Posts)
davyatsea Fri 23-Nov-12 12:00:25

Hi there. I'm not sure on this one, so I thought I would ask on here. DS, aged seven, is fussy about his food to say the least. If he had his way, he would live on Pot Noodles, youghurts, dairly dunkers and cheese strings. I am going shopping later on, so there wont be any pot noodles bought - end of arguement on that one. We are trying to educate ds on his five a day, and reward him if he improves his diet. This will also teach his younger sister of 21 months as she is starting to pick up on his fussy eating habits.
Going back to five a day, ds thinks yoghurts count as one of their five a day. I disagree, on the basis that five yoghurts do not count as five portions of fruit. I know sometimes items are labelled as one of the 5 a day, but not always. What is the opinion on here? Maybe a happy medium shared by yoghurts, and the real thing. DS does like bananas and grapes, but will not eat vegetables - unless as part of a pot noodle. Now, would you count the peas in a pot noodle as one of the 5 a day. I'm not sure, but maybe I can be proven otherwise.

YouOldSlag Fri 23-Nov-12 14:29:14

I use frozen spinach and put it in EVERYTHING- spag bol, chili, soup, pasta sauce. Nobody notices and they all eat it. Grated courgette melts down into nothing but is full of vitamins so you could put that in too.

Your DS cannot eat Pot Noodles if there are none in the house. If children are hungry an hour before tea, I just give them a drink as I tell them they need to be hungry when their tea arrives on the table.

I do sympathise though, my 2yo has completely gone off fruit and I am always trying new tricks to get it down him.

Have you tried Fruitapura? It's actually pureed fruit for babies but I still give these to my kids from time to time if I am worried about their 5 a day. They are in pots that look like yoghurt pots so you could try that maybe?

I also put drained tinned fruit in a sugar free jelly which works too.

davyatsea Fri 23-Nov-12 16:35:23

Thank you for the helpful comments and to the condescending and patronising snobs, well, hope your superiority makes you feel good. This week we have had, homemade cottage pie, prawns,mange tout and noodles (ds refused and had pot noodle), pasta and mixed veg in a tomato sauce with cheese, sausage, mash and peas, the high end oven chip night and tomight sweet and sour chicken. DW works 30 hours and I to be fair, don't do any cooking.
The junk night idea could work...Yes making smoothies could be good too. Sometimes it is money, we really are pretty skint alot of the time...
Like the idea of homemade noodles too and hiding veg in bolognaise sauce. Ds used to eat spag bol and meatballs and pasta but not now.
Its only this week he has had pot noodles, its not a regular thing. at school he will eat homemade burgers and wedges, pizza, macaroni cheese.
thanks for recipe ivy kate.
Lovely idea about sitting him down with receipe book too. We have become a bit farmfoods, i realise.... Still no need for such bitchiness however!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 23-Nov-12 16:39:30

He's seven, unlikely to starve.

Don't have any of the junk food in the house. Offer him the same as everyone else but nothing else. If he doesn't want it, don't push it, just let him go hungry.

CheungFun Fri 23-Nov-12 16:56:03

My ds is still a baby, so tell me if I'm talking rubbish..I think you need to build on what your son does like to eat, so if he likes yoghurt, could you add some fresh fruit to it e.g. strawberries, raspberries, peach etc.?

I'm not sure how nutritious they are, but would your son eat something like homemade banana muffins? They're easy to make and freeze at home, plus they have some fruit and if they're homemade they're not 'bad' food IMO!

How about getting some tinned fruit salad and adding a few chunks of fruit to jelly?

I agree with the poster who said about making egg noodles and adding some sauce and veg in - better than a Pot Noodle!

Spaghetti bolognese, cottage pie and pasta dishes are all good for adding vegetables (hidden or otherwise ;) )

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sat 24-Nov-12 09:33:13

Maybe it is an age thing?

My 10 year old will eat everything we put in front of him. He is not fond of broccoli if we have something boring where the veg is just steamed and on the side, but he will eat some. He is Omnivore, pretty much.

Our 7 year old is currently very fussy, and I struggle to get fruit in him. Before he used to ask for plate fulls of fruit, and loved mango. Now he will turn his nose up at everything. Still eats his veg though but I worry that without the fruit he wont get enough vitamins. I am sure he would eat cheerios for every meal....

I dont think tinned fruit has much nutritional value though, it is a good idea to add fruit to jelly.

We used to sometimes buy those frozen berry mixes, and add the frozen berries to jelly while it was still liquid. It served two purposes: Add berries to the pudding, and the jelly would set quicker. With a dollop of custard, or some whipped cream, delish!

Ignore the Bernard Matthews style comments, there will always be some.....
(speaking of which, my sons love their turkey escalopes, and I will serve them up now and then, in all fairness)

davyatsea Sat 24-Nov-12 19:58:55

Thanks notquint x

NuclearStandoff Tue 27-Nov-12 14:10:34

just don't buy Potnoodles any more and he will soon get used to having other stuff.

davyatsea Fri 30-Nov-12 13:00:42

Update on this one. Pot noodles no longer exist in our house. Mealtimes are at the table, and everyone is sharing the family meal. To be fair, I have been working away this week, and have missed out on all this, but dw assures me that all is good. Looking forward to an early finish so we can all get together!

NuclearStandoff Fri 30-Nov-12 15:03:37

Well done, that's great.

Good for you and Mrsatsea!

Loads of praise for both your kids eating and sharing food and conversation together

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now