Thai dried prawn chilli in oil - where can i get this?

(4 Posts)
SilverSixpence Thu 22-Nov-12 21:03:41

Does anyone know where I can get this? usually comes with thai food in restaurants and I always miss it when cooking thai at home. Have checked in my local chinese shops and none of them have it. I'm in London if anyone knows somewhere local.

oricella Fri 23-Nov-12 19:11:15

Have never been served this as a matter of course and not quite sure what you mean. You can buy dried prawns "gung haeng" quite easily I think; or do you mean a dark dipping sauce with a little prawn in it (nam prik pao, sometimes in soybean oil)? David Thompson does a very elaborate recipe for a shrimp paste relish, but that doesn't involve any oil at all.. or maybe Indonesian sambals come close?

SilverSixpence Sat 24-Nov-12 13:08:42

Thanks, I had it in a Thai restaurant as a dipping sauce but have also found it online Called sambal udang bercili which I think is Malaysian. Will try my local Chinese store and if I don't find it will buy online

I've got some in my cupboard. Delicious, isn't it? I got it in Chinese supermarket in Glasgow - See Woo probably. If you're stuck, let me know and I'll get some for you next time I'm there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now