NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Advice needed from bread makers aficionados

(8 Posts)
DialMforMummy Wed 21-Nov-12 19:35:59

I just recently got a bread maker, made a successful loaf yesterday.
Today, I bought bread flour from Sainsburys which is wholegrain seeded bread flour but I am unsure which recipe to follow with it. Do I follow the recipe from the packet or the same one as I did when I made the wholemeal loaf yesterday? The main difference is the addition of sugar.
Any advice gratefully received.

DialMforMummy Wed 21-Nov-12 21:37:18

Anyone?

summerintherosegarden Thu 22-Nov-12 08:21:51

What sort of yeast are you using?
If you're using those instant active dry yeast sachets you don't need sugar. If you're using the sort of dried yeast that you need to sponge then sugar helps.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 22-Nov-12 08:30:05

I always follow the recipes and instructions in the booklet that came with the bread machine and haven't had a failure yet......well, apart from when DP bought the wrong yeast (one that was NOT suitable for bread machines).

Mines a Panasonic BTW

DialMforMummy Thu 22-Nov-12 09:45:18

Right, I am using the sachet yeast. On the machine recipe, it says to use this type of yeast as well as sugar. It worked fine.
I cant follow the recipe from the booklet with this flour because there is no recipe for this type of fancy flour. confused

summerintherosegarden Thu 22-Nov-12 09:50:08

Don't stress!

If you're making a basic loaf (i.e. not ciabatta or sourdough or something) it doesn't matter a whole lot which type of flour you use, the prinicple is very much the same.

You can use either the recipe from your booklet (just putting in your flour instead of whatever flour they suggest) OR you can use the recipe from the back of the flour packet.

I use that particular flour all the time to make bread, by hand rather than in a machine, but it's really no different to plain wholemeal/white loaves.

DialMforMummy Thu 22-Nov-12 10:11:38

Thank you Summer will have a go in the next couple of days and keep you posted.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Nov-12 11:35:04

I confess, I tend to use the standard loaf programme for everything! Whether it's wholemeal, granary, seeds or whatever.... always seems to come out fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now