Your Family's Number One Meal, please share.

(94 Posts)
NigellaEllaElla Mon 19-Nov-12 18:14:24

I'm losing the will to live with the endless meal production in this house.

So thought instead of asking for everyone's meal plan I would just ask for your most returned to, always a hit, most commonly produced meal in your house.

Hoping to find some inspiration.....

Chandon Mon 19-Nov-12 20:27:33

apart from usuals, chicken and chips, pizza (home made dough in breadmaker, toppings of choice), they all love lentil soup (oddly).

Fry up some chopped up bacon, pancetta or chorizo (or some veggies like peppers if you are vegetarian) and fry in a bit of oil
Chop 2 onions really finely, and some garlic and add.
Add a tin of peeled toms and 2 stock cubes plus a bit of smoked paprika (if you have it, if not pepper is fine, but smoked paprika adds a real WOW)
add about 400 grammes of Puy lentils (the little ones) and a litre of water

Simmer for 40 minutes, add more water if needed.

Taste for salt and pepper, eat with crusty bread (baguette)

even nicer the next day.

Wallison Mon 19-Nov-12 20:28:36

Spag bol.

A Claudia Roden recipe for little kebabs.

Sausages with roast veggies and baked spuds (just to make sure I use up every part of the oven!)

Risotto. Various kinds. Will be trying the carrot one - thanks, R2PeePoo.

Savoury rice dish with leftover meat and chorizo.

Goulash.

Wallison Mon 19-Nov-12 20:29:44

Ooh yes we eat a lot of lentils too but usually the pink ones - will be trying that recipe; it sounds great - thanks!

Mominatrix Mon 19-Nov-12 20:38:44

Spicy red lentil and chickpea stew with carrot flatbreads - I kid you not! dS1 not an enormous veg fan, but he loves this, and ask for it once a fortnight.

NettoSpookerstar Tue 20-Nov-12 10:20:23

Fried chicken of some description, I make several.

mrsvilliers Tue 20-Nov-12 10:24:19

Risotto. Currently mushroom and spinach www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/porcini-mushroom-and-spinach-risotto.html

R2 that baked carrot one sounds lush, going to give it a go!

NigellaEllaElla Tue 20-Nov-12 11:21:41

Netto what sorts do you make? I always like the look of Nigella's Southern Fried but not been brave enough to try any yet.

NettoSpookerstar Tue 20-Nov-12 11:36:35

I've made korean
Japanese
Southern fried
Parmos
Parmigiana
Buffalo strips

Have another Japanese recipe bookmarked to try once I get the ingredients online for it.

They're here, on my blog, just ignore the ones that aren't fried chicken!

AngelWreakinHavoc Tue 20-Nov-12 11:38:52

corned beef hot pot! cheap, easy and delicious!

NigellaEllaElla Tue 20-Nov-12 12:57:29

Fab, will have a look now.

MummyPig24 Tue 20-Nov-12 13:40:11

BBC good food Leek and Bacon risotto.
Anglesey Eggs.
Toad in the hole.
Garlic and thyme roast chicken.
Spag bol/lasagne.
Macaroni cheese.
Lentil hotpot.

debka Tue 20-Nov-12 14:10:37

Sticky rice (steamed Thai Glutinous Rice), salmon and broccoli, all with soy sauce.

Drladybird Tue 20-Nov-12 15:42:40

lentil bolagnese is a current hit with the cook (quick and easy to make) and the tasters (very nice to eat)!

I also like the sound of spicy red lentil and chickpea stew with carrot flatbreads- is there a recipe online for that Momin?

Wallison Tue 20-Nov-12 15:53:58

Corned beef is lovely but sadly no longer cheap!

CalamityJones Tue 20-Nov-12 15:57:25

Sausage and green lentil casserole - I use an Allegra McEvedy recipe with fresh red chili and chorizo, we all absolutely love it (including the baby) plus the fact that it includes lentils makes me feel really smug and wholesome.

Spinach and goats cheese risotto is another failsafe.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 20-Nov-12 15:58:29

Definitely a roast.
Beef,roast potatoes,carrots,broccoli and yorkshire puddings.

But,less ambitiously (for a weekday night) either DH's chicken korma or my homemade wholemeal pizza.

somewheresomehow Tue 20-Nov-12 16:13:04

beef stew (quorn one 4 dd)
roast beef
or spaghetti and meatballs with added chilli flakes
ds comfort food beans + sausages chips toast and cheese

LemonBreeland Tue 20-Nov-12 20:54:00

Just remembered that chicken casserole is very popular in our house atm too. There are not many dishes that everyone eats, si it is great whne you find one that everyone enjoys.

Hattie11 Tue 20-Nov-12 20:56:17

Sausage and leek pie.

Cook sausage and leek, mix in butter flour and milk, put in a dish layer sliced potatoes and grated cheese, bake in the oven....yum!

Mummydoctor Tue 20-Nov-12 21:14:51

Smoky lentil shepherds pie with peas and carrots

Bangers and mash with carrots and gravy

Cauliflower or broccoli cheesy bake

RedGreenRouge Tue 20-Nov-12 21:18:29

Plain shepherd's pie
Pasta with tomato sauce or pesto
Pizza (bought base plus tomato sauce)
Mash potato and anything
Ham risotto
Mushroom risotto

MrsPnut Tue 20-Nov-12 21:22:12

In our house it's either beef stew with dumplings or chicken and chorizo paella.

With both of these even DD2 eats some of the vegetables which is almost unheard of.

fluffacloud Tue 20-Nov-12 21:34:15

Jamie's ultimate chicken pie with swede and carrot mash and broccoli. The pie is from the 30 min book but I can't make it in less than 45!!

Toad in the hole
Breakfast tea is amazing
DD1's (2.11) current fad is pork chops with apple (sliced and done in the microwave) with mash and broccoli

DD detests all veg except broccoli - I'm sick of the sight of it!

babbas Wed 21-Nov-12 11:23:48

One pot roast dinner. Marinate chicken thighs in supermarket packet powder of tandoori masala (v cheap), a few spoons rubbed into thighs. Then put in tray, throw in potatoes, carrots parsnips and any other veg. Sprinkle with salt pepper and drizzle of olive oil. Put in oven and it all cooks in about an hour. Serve with yoghurt, salad, Pitts, or on its own. If you don't want spicy chicken then just leave plain or drizzle with lemon and throw in garlic cloves. This is cheap and a winner with all.

Tuna Pasta Bake.

Boil pasta shells. In last three minutes of cooking, add some frozen peas. Slice some mozzerella. Open a tin or two of tuna.

Drain pasta, stir in a jar of tomato sauce (I use Lloyd Grossman with chilli.) Layer in a baking dish - tuna, pasta, mozzerella, tuna pasta mozzerella. Grate parmesan on top. Bake 30 mins.

(This recipe my own invention inspired by a delicious vegetarian aubergine bake in a book about Italian Vegetable Cooking. It was so lovely. But too vegetarian for DH. And a bit more work, as aubergines needed pre-cooking. And it didn't use a jarred sauce, of course.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now