I've never roasted a chicken before, can someone come and tell me what to do?

(38 Posts)
JackThePumpkinKing Sun 18-Nov-12 14:33:05

I have a 2.1kg chicken, lemon, thyme, lots of veg and 3 hours. We're not having roasted potatoes because I am rubbish at them, so it'll be chicken cooked with veg, and boiled potatoes I think.

What do I do with the thyme and lemon?
What temp should the oven be on?
Do I need to cover the chicken with foil for a bit (I'm thinking yes, it's a bit of a beast)
How long do I need to cook it (the chicken tells me it needs 2 hours, but I don't believe it will be cooked in that time?)

I'm a pretty good cook in other respects, and if I ask my Mum I will get laughed at.

I think that rude thread is actually response to a different thread Jack -- the one from a single mum who wanted to learn how to cook properly for herself and her DD. Which is even worse because clearly she was struggling a bit and looking for advice sad

Anyway if it makes you feel better I have never cooked a bird in my life. I'm 41. I came here looking for advice too! Thank you ladies, I'm going to put all your great advice into action sometime this holiday season.

trixymalixy Sun 18-Nov-12 15:31:55

I'm crap at roast potatoes too. I try and I try, but they have only ever turned out nice once and I couldn't repeat it. I think it's because I don't really like them.

trixymalixy Sun 18-Nov-12 15:33:02

And I am very good at cooking lots of other things that people struggle with, rice for example. I just can't get the roast potatoes right!

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 18-Nov-12 15:36:13

My best tip for a roast chicken is a load of water in the pan and foil on top the chicken. The water all evaporates leaving the chicken all juicy. Tis a Jamie Oliver method if you want to google.

I think that thread is also about the mum and dd wanting to cook. How rude of that OP sad

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 18-Nov-12 15:43:50

My favourite way of cooking roast chicken is rub with butter, herbs and stick a few garlic cloves in first, then 25 mins in hot oven (200). The skin should start looking brown and a bit crispy. Then turn the oven down to 160 and pour in a glass of wine (white or red) and cook for the rest of the cooking time. Then you get crispy skin and lovely moist chicken. I wouldn't add the lemon as you have the wine. Then make the gravy with the wine and juices. Yum yum yum. That's originally from Hugh FW I think. I can really recommend it, it works every time.

JackThePumpkinKing Sun 18-Nov-12 15:45:00

Who knows, maybe the other thread is about a different one. Either way its judgemental and rude.

Pickled -see, I'm awesome lasagne, and I've just worked out how to make it even nicer. I'm not afraid to mess about with recipes at all, but didn't want a £10 chicken to be a dry crozzled mess grin

JackThePumpkinKing Sun 18-Nov-12 16:20:06

dreamingbohemian did that other thread get deleted? It sounds like one I posted on first thing this morning, but can't find it now

Oh I don't know, I just saw it briefly earlier. There were some pretty rude comments on it already so maybe it did go poof.

I don't know why people have to be so rude, whatever thread it was about, it was really unnecesary!

JackThePumpkinKing Sun 18-Nov-12 16:35:36

I only saw the first post, mine was the first response. Aw, that's a shame, she was only asking for help.

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 16:37:33

Potatoes easy. Peel, parboil, drain and shake in saucepan very hard so they go all fluffy, stick in tray with hot oil in, coat them all over using meat juices, bung in at 190 for 45 mins, turning halfway through.

I can't imagine roast without tatties.

Don't forget cooks perks - eat the skin while it's still hot and crunchy.

trixymalixy Sun 18-Nov-12 16:49:30

Pascha, that's what I do with the roast potatoes, they just never turn out right, I don't know why!!

PickledFanjoCat Sun 18-Nov-12 16:53:03

A troll was all over that other thread of its the one I'm thinking picking on her spelling.

PickledFanjoCat Sun 18-Nov-12 17:04:07

I've just cracked lasagne my last three on the nose have been lovely, before that oh dear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now