Can you talk me through yoghurt makers?

(8 Posts)
TelephoneTree Fri 16-Nov-12 22:31:18

We eat lots of yeo valley organic natural yoghurt. will a yoghurt maker produce yoghurt that is as creamy or will it be more tart etc?

advice please!

TelephoneTree Fri 16-Nov-12 22:31:59

and also do they all produce tiny pots of yoghurt or is there one where you can get bigger pots??

bruffin Fri 16-Nov-12 22:45:52

Lakeland do a one bowl yoghurt maker, and you can buy spare bowls.
I don't find it tart, if you want very thick and creamy like Greek yoghurt, just strain it.
There is a brand called easy yo which uses a packet mix, which is a very expensive way of making yoghurt.

golemmings Fri 16-Nov-12 23:12:24

We use easiyo which makes a litre. It works well for us.

Can't remember exactly how it tastes; been feeding dairy intolerant DS for the last year... I do remember liking it and dd and DH seem to eat gallons of the stuff!

bruffin Fri 16-Nov-12 23:24:15

Easy yo isn't really proper home made yoghurt though, it's a powder you mix with water, which cost about £2 a litre.
The normal yoghurt maker is just a litre of milk, with a spoonful of yoghurt as a starter, once you have made your first batch just save a little as a starter for the next batch.

TelephoneTree Sat 17-Nov-12 08:31:00

Thanks all. Just ordered a Lakeland one bowl one. What do you mean by 'strain it' what does that involve? How long does yoghurt take to make generally??

Jojoba1986 Sat 17-Nov-12 08:55:06

We use UHT milk so we don't have to heat it to kill any bugs. We also use a whole small pot of Yeo Valley per litre which seems to make it thicker. You may or may not need to strain it, depending on how long you leave it for. We have a piece of muslin cloth that we fold over & use to line a sieve & just pop it in there & let the whey (watery stuff) drain off until it looks about thick enough!

Jojoba1986 Sat 17-Nov-12 08:56:38

Oh, & we tend to leave ours for 12-16 hours in our easiyo, depending on when we remember to take it out... We're rather forgetful! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now