Help! Need to make dessert for ten people

(52 Posts)
Welovecouscous Thu 15-Nov-12 11:28:13

I have offered to help with a community meal and need a foolproof dessert which I can make in the Aga.

I am looking for something simple, which is suitable for winter, not too expensive. Something Delia like??

The people attending are mostly 50+, no children.

Aaaggh have never done this before in this quantity and feeling very overwhelmed!

Welovecouscous Thu 15-Nov-12 17:02:41

The torte is lovely! And it is a very good size. The edible stars could look lovely too.

Welovecouscous Thu 15-Nov-12 17:05:10

I must say I feel safest with Delia. I am not an experienced cook and the thought of making something horrible would just be so embarrassing blush

Another vote for crumble. I had to cook for 12 recently and made one thinking it was a bit of a cop out, but very easy so would have to do. It was ridiculously popular. I'd made enough for about 20 thinking the left overs would be nice for lunch... not a chance, none left.

Best thing about crumble - you can prep it in advance, cook it on the day, and it doesn't spoil if it has to hang around for a while.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 15-Nov-12 17:17:44

If I have to cook for a large number of guests I always do something cold so I can make it in advance and then just serve it. Tiramisu always goes down well.

Welovecouscous Thu 15-Nov-12 18:23:46

Thanks so much for the help everyone - actually feeling much less scared now!

I was worried about crumble being perceived boring. But maybe I shouldn't!

I love tiramisu, but I'm a bit worried about serving the elderly raw egg, which I think is in there?

Taffeta Fri 16-Nov-12 13:08:22

This is my favourite winter trifle recipe.

Yumma and dead easy.

Welovecouscous Fri 16-Nov-12 13:15:45

Mmmm maybe I'm going to research these desserts by trying them out first!

pacific407 Fri 16-Nov-12 13:33:42

Fantastic trifle recipe based on a Nigel Slater - I don't use booze because I hate boozy desserts, but you cld.

Bought Madeira cake base (sliced into slices about 2cm thick and then layered). Cover over with raspberries/mixed berries that have been cooked down so they are part fruit part mush (if that makes sense). Easiest and cheapest way to do this is a load of frozen berries, couple of tbsp water, sugar to taste, cook for 10 mins or so.
Ready made fresh custard over that. Whipped cream over that.

No exact quantities as depends on how many you're making it for...just a common sense thing, really. Plus you can't go wrong so it doesn't matter.

I have been known to eat leftovers for breakfast. So good.

Welovecouscous Fri 16-Nov-12 13:45:51

Pacific that sounds amazing too - thank you.

Welovecouscous Sat 17-Nov-12 12:38:16

I have been having a dessert summit with my DH - having been told the desert has to be cold and he has picked the winner...

Delia's chocolate torte!!

Thank you so much everyone!

Can I use Bacardi in the torte?

BIWI that torte looks amazing, thanks for the link

Welovecouscous Sat 17-Nov-12 12:46:34

I mean the delia truffle torte grin

And dessert not desert blush

picnicbasketcase Sat 17-Nov-12 12:46:43

Great big banoffee pie. No actual cooking required. <lazy>

Welovecouscous Sat 17-Nov-12 12:46:53

Yes thank you v much biwi smile

dogrilla Sat 17-Nov-12 12:50:45

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3842/baked-raspberry-cheesecake is the easiest cheesecake ever. Looks and tastes really impressive and delicious, and everyone always asks for the recipe. I wheel it out time and time again.

BIWI Sat 17-Nov-12 12:50:58

You won't thank me after you've consumed all those carbs/calories and fat grin

<waves to PheasantPlucker>

Welovecouscous Sat 17-Nov-12 12:57:10

Biwi I am looking forward to that bit! Do you think a sprig of physalis would be nice to serve with the slices?

Welovecouscous Sat 17-Nov-12 12:57:32

Biwi do you think Bacardi is ok or do I need dark rum??

BIWI Sat 17-Nov-12 13:42:12

Physalis would look beautiful. And I should think Bacardi would be fine.

You will need to serve some cream with it, as it is so, so rich and quite a cloying (in a good way!) texture - but make it single cream

BlackandGold Sat 17-Nov-12 13:46:07

I make Delia's torte using Cointreau instead of rum.

And if you make it the day before you need it it's much easier to slice.

BIWI Sat 17-Nov-12 13:49:11

And, seriously, when you serve it, only serve each guest a sliver. Maybe no more than 3 cm at the widest point of the wedge (assuming you're making a round one). It is so rich that any more than that can be over-kill.

Welovecouscous Sat 24-Nov-12 00:18:51

Right - two tortes made and chilling in the fridge. Had fun cooking and kitchen smelled very heady with fumes of rum grin

I am feeling slightly stressed about turning them out tomorrow. Also seems almost unbelievable that it will set - was so liquid when I poured it into the cake tin [lies in bed feeling stressed about the shame when serves torte resembling sloppy choc mousse - aaaagghh].

Will report back on how it goes when I turn them out tomorrow smile

JenaiMathis Sat 24-Nov-12 13:23:31

Well......? wink

Welovecouscous Sat 24-Nov-12 13:59:13

Like a dream grin

Honestly the recipe is totally foolproof if even I can do it

Thank you so much Biwi and everyone else on the thread

I will report back on the proof of the pudding - the eating!

BIWI Sat 24-Nov-12 14:26:31

Don't blame me when you gain 3 stones overnight grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now