So DH went to Lidl and bought a...

(15 Posts)

I do love mac cheese bunjiessmile I have never seen BC make anything that wasn't indulgent, all her recipes seem to start with 'take 12 pounds of butter...' Go and buy a lobster today! You deserve itsmile

bunjies Thu 15-Nov-12 14:50:31

Barefoot Contessa (US tv chef on food network) made a very indulgent macaroni cheese with lobster stirred through. Looked delicious. I am v jealous of your lobster. Might have get one myself now!

kelly14 Thu 15-Nov-12 14:15:02

defrost it and take all meat from shell (leaving claws and tail intact - and this is the only bits i like really)

I would cook some fresh (bought not made, lets not get silly lol) linguine or spagehetti, fry off some chopped tomatoes and garlic and some passata and then add chunks of lobster to warm and then mix with the cooked pasta.

Just google lobster recipes and there is loads so you can find something to suit your tastes.

I love lobster, but for some reason i have to be very careful as i have a few times had bad allergic reactions where i am literally covered head to toe in a blooted red rash (fingers tips, face everywhere!!!) luckily the rash has always occured a few hours later and i have been at home lol

Snails he's not allowed back, he spent far too much money, despite me giving him a list (it is nice to have nice food in the house though).

PILs are vay traditional, they thought we were INSANE last year cos we made some biscuits for relations instead of giving everyone a box of roses...

sashh Thu 15-Nov-12 03:10:38

Don't let him go back, he'll bring the snails. I did wonder who bought the lobster.

Take it to the inlaws, it will defrost on the way and then it's their problem.

I can do chips. And mayo. With Lemon. No saffron though, needs to be cheap!

Thanks for the suggestions everyones, I'll do it on Friday and let you know how I got onsmile

ISingSoprano Wed 14-Nov-12 20:55:22

Oh I LOVE lobster - I have been known to cook them while camping in France. A creamy sauce with saffron would work well with pasta but in my opinion it is best served with salad and chips and lots of mayo for dipping. Yum.

<googles exo-skeleton>

Hmm. So pasta I think, Shmancy. Or and it was E4.99 in Lidl, so if there's one near you go for it!

Or could I do fish cakes with lemon and dill? I have one hake fillet in the freezer that needs using up.

Vicar - I will let you know, after Fridaysmile

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 14-Nov-12 20:46:03

is it odd that at 40 i have never ever tasted lobster? is it nice?

VirginiaDare Wed 14-Nov-12 20:45:29

there won't be nearly as much in it as it looks. It's mainly exo-skeleton.

SchmancyPants Wed 14-Nov-12 20:44:27

Could you defrost it, then strip the 'meat' off (you can use nutcrackers to crack open the claws etc) then use it in pasta as you suggested? It would prob also be nice in a stir fry, or with good mayonnaise and iceberg lettuce in a sandwich or baguette?
<wants lobster now>

True McPhee, sorry! What I meant was how do I heat it?

We are going to PILs for Christmas, Minty, it's too far to cart mad frozen lobstergrin

Mintyy Wed 14-Nov-12 20:24:16

Get him to do something spectacular with it at Christmas?

McPhee Wed 14-Nov-12 20:21:43

If it's already cooked, then surely it just needs defrosting and heating through?

...giant frozen lobster. As you do. And it's a giant COOKED frozen lobster, so I can't just cook it off and freeze some if there's too much. I have never eaten nor cooked lobster before and I'm a bit frightened of it - I'm not a huge fan of fish anyway.

And DH means well, he intends to do something with it, at some point. (He won't though, it will sit in the freezer, occassionally popping out to fall on my foot and willing me to clatter DH over the head with it instead).

So I was thinking - tagliatelle with creamy sauce and spinach or frozen peas? And whack the leftovers in a fish pie or quiche?

Has anybody else (or their spendthrift DH) bought a mad lobster in Lidl and found a cheap tasty recipe? Or just tell me how to cook it, because I have no clue...Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now