Do you reckon you can freeze clotted cream?

(5 Posts)
Thirstysomething Thu 15-Nov-12 12:37:50

Hello from Cornish cream eaters, oo-argh, (we go through a pot every two days and a washing up bowl of homemade cream over three days at Christmas! On breakfast cereal, berries, ice cream, in soup, on ginger biscuits, scones and mostly on 'splits' - soft white rolls with jam).
I have seen it done and it will freeze fine but can look a bit funny when it defrosts - as summerinthe says, great for an ingredient, but may not be quite as good as it was for the finest scones...
Tip from Cornwall - try not to put clotted cream in the fridge! Keep it somewhere cool and eat asap instead... If you do have to put it in the fridge, take it out half an hour at least before you use it.
Clotted cream kept in the fridge 'sets' and isn't the same thing at all...

summerintherosegarden Thu 15-Nov-12 10:46:15

Safety wise it'll be fine but I'm not sure how it will defrost - I know with regular cream if you freeze it sometimes the fat comes out and settles in the bottom, but then that's obviously more liquid when it goes in.
I think if you're planning it as an ingredient then it should be fine but I might not rely on it defrosting in quite the luscious form it went in!

duchesse Wed 14-Nov-12 21:12:55

Thank you Mac. It's gone in the freezer now. smile

Macdog Tue 13-Nov-12 09:42:45

Should be fine smile

duchesse Tue 13-Nov-12 09:13:47

That's it really- for a combination of reasons I had to buy clotted cream early for something that happens a few days after the use by date. What do you think- will it be ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now